Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Day 6 of A Year in my Life

Rainbows!

I love rainbows.

I have been obsessed with getting a rainbow shot over the river.

A couple of years ago I pedalled down to the river without my camera.  I was going out that day, so I was already dressed for my outing and decided to pedal to the bakery for my morning coffee.

I didn't take the camera because I knew that I wouldn't be gone long and because the weather was looking a bit ominous.

As I left the bakery,  I decided to stop by the Seat of Knowledge to say good morning to my boys.

It was right on high tide, there was not a breath of wind and the water was still and smooth, like glass.

The clouds in the distance were dark and looming and it was obvious that it was raining up river.

As I pulled up to the Seat of Knowledge, a rainbow appeared.

One end of it was on the opposite side of the river and the closest end seemed to be within about 50 feet from the steps near the Seat of Knowledge.

It was a perfect, vibrant and complete rainbow and the water was so still that it reflected that perfect rainbow like a mirror.

I literally gasped at the beauty and instinctively reached for my camera, which of course, was not there.

The first time I had ever taken my trike without the camera in the rear basket!

The chances of that perfect moment to ever occur again in the future are so remote.  I think I'd have a better chance of winning the lottery!

So, the night before last, when my neighbour came running over to my house to point out a rainbow after a heavy shower had passed, I was excited about what I might find.

We jumped in her car and drove down to the beach to discover this ...


The circumstances were not even close to mimicking that special morning when I was without my camera, but this rainbow was beautiful in it's own right.

I am grateful for beautiful, vibrant, colourful rainbows that bring joy to the heart and lift my spirits every single time.  Who doesn't love a rainbow?

Nite all.


No comments: