Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Day 81 in a Year of my Life

Begin rant:

We drove to Bundaberg this afternoon for an appointment.

The drive home was one of the more frightening experiences of my life, and probably Adoring Husband's life as well.

The first we noticed, was in the rear vision mirror and we witnessed a B-double truck, driving at well over the speed limit on the wrong side of the road, overtaking a number of cars.  Nowhere was there a gap where he could safely pull into the correct lane, if oncoming traffic appeared.

Eventually, the car that he was overtaking, had to brake and create a space for him to pull in behind us.  The nose of the truck would only have been 10 feet from the back of our car and I think I'm being generous in my estimation, because he felt a lot closer.

We were driving on the speed limit of 100 kmh.

Soon he felt the need to overtake both us, AND the semi trailer in front of us.  We estimate that he was driving on the wrong side of the road for at least a kilometre and the truck in front also had to brake to give him room to pull into the lane and avoid oncoming traffic.

My heart was pounding and Adoring Husband was feeling the heat too.

This is not the first time that we've had issues with truck drivers on this road.  They take unnecessary risks to overtake and they tailgate dangerously.  We always travel at the speed limit, so there is no need for them to overtake.

Essentially, it means that they are driving above the speed limit at all times because they quickly disappear from our sight after they've passed us.

I wish that I'd had my wits about me and used my mobile phone to video the experience.  I could have taken it to the police station, posted it on facebook or youtube, sent it to a television station, or somehow got the appropriate attention and action to stop this driver from putting our lives at risk in the future.

I don't think it's fair that I feel stressed every time I know we have to use the highway to go somewhere, because the road is full of dangerous, careless, inconsiderate truck drivers.

End rant.

Today, I am grateful and relieved that we arrived home safe and sound after such a harrowing experience.

To finish - What do you call a lazy baby kangaroo?  A pouch potato :D

Nite all.

No comments: