Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Day 236 in a Year of my Life

It is definitely more difficult to get out of bed on these coolish Winter mornings.

It was 7.30am when I climbed out of bed and well after 8am when I got my coffee.

I pedalled to the beach to drink my coffee alone and spotted two Brahminy Kites about 100 metres apart, just standing on the beach.

I chose the one to the right and as I approached, it jumped up and flew over to a mudcrab that was lying dead on the beach ...


Then I got a bit too close and it flew off ...


to be with it's mate ...


I spent about an hour walking backwards and forwards on the wet sand at low tide.  My shoes were wet and sandy.  My track pants were wet and sandy up past my ankles.

But it was worth it.

It was a nice way to spend the morning and then it was even nicer going through all the photos that I had taken.

I hope that tomorrow is worth another walk on the beach .. I think I'll wear shorts and take my shoes off this time.  Might be a bit chilly on the toes, but much less mess to clean up when I get home!

I sorted through some bags of paperwork and photos today and came across a photo from my first wedding, at the ripe old age of 18.


My brother wasn't quite 15yrs of age and my little sister, who was my flower girl, was 5yrs old.  My parents were both aged 38 yrs, and both no longer with us.

I also found my mother's school reports and dance examinations - she dreamed of being a ballerina.

There was also her old bible.  It was already very old when it was handed down from an Aunty in 1947, with it's cover missing, an old bookmark in the pages and a couple of flower petals pressed and dried between the pages.

I wonder what the petals were from?  A flower that she had found as a child?  A flower from a boyfriend?  I guess we will never know now.

Such a long time ago.

Today, I am grateful for small treasures that are packed away and every few years, opened up and viewed and touched.

Reminders of the things that the people we love have experienced in the past.  Reminders that they were here, and were once a part of our lives.  A reminder that we didn't ask enough questions when we had the opportunity.

That's being just a little melancholy, but really, it made me feel warm and fuzzy.

Nite all.

 


No comments: