Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Day 293 in a Year of my Life

I had a big day in the kitchen today.

I started with a green smoothie using baby spinach, celery leaf, lettuce from the garden, mint, parsley, 6 snow peas, half an apple, 1/4 of a small papaya, 3 strawberries and a tablespoon of hemp oil.  It was not a pretty colour, but it tasted great!

Then I made a small pavlova.


I'm cutting sugar from my diet, so it's my 'goodbye to sugar' gift!  When it's finished ... it's all over for processed/refined sugar!

I used my imagination to make a delicious vegetable stack, and a chicken and rice dish with turmeric and coconut oil, which was so much nicer than I expected!

I've also decided to cut caffeine and alcohol and to reduce my meat intake.

My diet will consist of lots of green smoothies, lots of vegetable soups, lots of meals made with clean fresh food.  Most processed foods contain sugar, they are all on the 'out' list.

Since my diet became gluten free, 18 months ago, I have gradually introduced so many processed foods, high in sugar and other ingredients that are either numbers, or words that I can't pronounce.  Just because they say 'gluten free' doesn't automatically make them good for you!

I want vitamins, minerals and nutrients and I want to feel rejuvenated and healthy and full of energy.  I want my head to be clear.

Feeling like an old woman is not an option for me anymore!  I'm 53 and I feel 73 (not that I KNOW what 73 feels like lol).  My friends in their 60s have more life and more energy than I do, so this is my way of attempting to find my energy.

A 3 month experiment with the potential to be everlasting.

Facebook friends have shared lots of recipes and links to websites/blogs/pages that have more clean fresh recipes.  I'm a bit excited and have already picked out a few to start with.

The first recipe I want to try, from one of the recommended sites http://thediva-dish.com/recipes-2/ it looks simple and delicious!

Strawberry Broccoli Salad

Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 15 mins

Serves: 3 cups

Ingredients
(For the Salad)
1½ c. chopped strawberries
1½ c. broccoli, cut with most of the stems removed
¼ c. salted cashews, chopped
2 TB (or more) toasted coconut
(For the Dressing)
2 TB. greek yogurt, plain
1 TB. balsamic vinegar
2 TB. honey
sprinkle of cinnamon

Instructions
Add salad ingredients to a medium sized bowl and set aside.
In a separate small bowl whisk together salad dressing, then pour over top of salad.
Can serve immediately, or will do great in the fridge for when ready to serve.
(If serving later, add in coconut just before serving)


Today, I am grateful for new food challenges that I hope will inspire me to find my creative juices in the kitchen!

I've shared this before, but it's my favourite quote.


Nite all.

1 comment:

❦❧Judi❦❧ said...

Don't cut meat completely out of your diet Roz. God knows we need more people to ear more beef! Just ask the butcher for grass fed beef without any marbling. The fat is the problem!
Good luck with your changes!