Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, October 7, 2013

Day 343 in a Year of my Life

There are now 3 eggs in the nesting box that I can see.  They are partially buried in the wood shavings, so there could be more under there too.

SEB and OB don't seem to be getting along very well.

When SEB goes into the nesting box, OB sits on the perch at the opening and constantly whistles and chirps and squeals.  CONSTANTLY.  I've been over to the cage a couple of times and given him a lecture - he stops talking while I talk and then starts again as soon as I've finished.

It can become a bit annoying at times.

Since we still don't know if OB is a boy or a girl, who knows if the eggs will ever hatch?

From the reading that I've done, the eggs are still viable up to 10 days after laying them.  The incubation period is 18-20 days and both the male and female share the duties of sitting on the eggs so that each can feed.  They leave the nesting box to poop and pee!

Oh and apparently at about the 10 day mark, if they are fertile eggs, you can see veins begin to appear inside the egg shell.

So I guess it's a matter of 'wait and see'.

Meanwhile I found two Tawny Frogmouth nests today!

This one is only about 8 feet from the ground, so there should be some good shots coming when the chicks hatch!  I calculate around 1st or 2nd November as the hatch date, because he was first seen on the nest last Thursday, 3rd Oct .. he wasn't there the day before that.

The incubation period is 30 days.


The male sits on the nest all day and then they take turns at night while each of them feed.

I'm very excited!

Today is a public holiday and the last day of the school holidays.

It's almost like nature knows the kids have all gone home, because there are birds EVERYWHERE.

I found a Grass Parrot...


I found male and female Storm Birds (Koels) feeding in a palm tree.  This is the male...


... and the female ...



... and finally a 'Squadron' of pelicans at high tide on this beautiful morning.


There were others, but I'll save them for another day.

Today I am grateful for a wonderful morning of photography to renew my motivation.  It feels good.

Nite all.




No comments: