Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Easy Peasy

I have two easy peasy things to share today.

One is an interesting article that I came across in my internet travels and could be an easy way to lose weight (tongue firmly in cheek) - just stop using anything that contains fragrances!


Does this body lotion make me look fat?

That’s not a question you hear very often! If your lotion contains fragrance or parabens (a family of preservatives commonly found in body lotions, makeup, shampoos, and a ton of other personal care products) it may very well actually be making you fat.

This is because these chemicals are obesogens.

What are obesogens?  Find out more here

... and the other easy peasy thing was our lunch yesterday.  I call it ...

"rQQzy's Hodge Podge Layered Meatloaf"

Ingredients:

500 gms of minced meat.  (Ours was beef, but I think any kind of meat would work.)
1 egg
1/2 onion chopped finely
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1 cup mashed sweet potato (I used the purple variety and I mix in 1 T butter and 2 T sour cream)
1 large kale leaf chopped finely
1 bacon rasher chopped
3 asparagus sticks chopped
4 good sized mushrooms chopped
1 large tomato
A drizzle of agave nectar (or maple syrup, honey)
salt and pepper


Method:

Preheat the oven to 200C.

Mix the meat with half a chopped onion, one egg, salt n pepper and then divide the mixture in half.

Line the bottom of a small non-stick loaf tin with half the mixture.

Then sprinkle crumbled feta (I used our home-made chilli and herb feta) over that layer.

Mix the chopped kale, bacon, asparagus and mushroom and tip it on the feta.  Press it down firmly.

The next layer is purple sweet potato mash.


On top of that, you put the rest of the meat mixture - flatten it out on a chopping board to the desired size and shape and then place it on top of the sweet potato.

Layer 3 thick slices of tomato on top of that and then drizzle a little agave nectar (or maple syrup/honey) over the top of the tomato.

Pop it in the oven at 200C for 40 minutes.

I should have let it rest for 10 minutes before serving, because the layers fell apart when I removed it from the tin too early, but it was very colourful!!  Purple, green, red, white, brown.  Also very tasty!


I served it with mashed potato (with finely chopped raw onion and some more sour cream mixed through it) and fresh steamed asparagus.

Adoring Husband ate what was left over, cold, for dinner.

I'll definitely put that on my 'repeat' list of dinners.

Having had a gluten free diet for almost 2 years now, I was very interested in the following article and after reading it, felt that a few people in my circle, could well be either Celiac or at the very least, gluten intolerant.

10 Symptoms of Gluten Intolerance

More than 55 diseases have been linked to gluten, the protein found in wheat, rye, and barley. It’s estimated that 99% of the people who have either gluten intolerance or celiac disease are never diagnosed.

Find out more here

I'll be away from home for the next 6 days.  I'm off to spend a couple of days with my little Chicklet and then a few days with some girlfriends, as a Christmas get-together. 

I'll still be attempting to blog every day.

Nite all.

No comments: