Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Another Date Day

We had the choice of five movies at the cinema this morning.

The 9.30am screenings included two animated children's movies, two very emotionally intense dramas and an action movie that had terrible reviews, which Adoring Husband had read to me a couple of nights ago.

There were a LOT of children at the cinema for the two animated movies .. it seems that not all ages returned to school today .. so those movies were quickly crossed off the list.

I really didn't want to start my day in emotional turmoil and with tears streaming down my cheeks, so the dramas were crossed off the list.

Movie critics annoy me, and more often than not, they are way off the mark, so I was willing to give the action movie a chance.

I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit"  It had me sitting on the edge of my seat for most of the movie and one of it's stars is one of my favourites, Kevin Costner.

Chris Pine and Keira Knightley were great, and Kenneth Brannagh acted in it, as well as Directed it!

We relaxed with a coffee in the cafe before the cinema opened and then during the movie, we enjoyed some popcorn, water and a nice little bag of grapes that I snuck in my handbag.

Afterwards, we had some heavy duty shopping to do because the stores in my pantry were very low, so a trip to 'Nana's Pantry' and 'Go Natural Foods' just about emptied our bank account!  But now I'm all set for a couple of marathon cooking days!

The most exciting part of my shopping day, was finding some Kefir Grains!

I've read so much about Kefir and I just wasn't confident about making my own, but now I have a starter and I should be able to keep up a regular supply!

Kefir is a drink made from kefir grains and it has the consistency of a drinkable yogurt but is much more tart and is actually effervescent.

Kefir has 35 different strains of beneficial bacteria and yeasts which actually colonize our digestive tracts and therefore boosts our immune system by keeping the healthy bacteria there.

Next on my list is finding a Kombucha 'Scoby'.  I'll explain that another day!

On the way home, we had to make way for a couple of Rural Fire Brigade trucks and we could see that they were headed for a rather large fire, but by the time we got home, there were warnings on the radio telling people in the area that if they didn't have a plan, they should get out of their homes now!

The warning was being repeated every ten minutes on the radio for at least two hours.

We've had such terrible winds, including today, so I imagine that the fire got out of control pretty quickly.  It's classed as 'A Major Fire Incident' on the Rural Fire Service website.

I hope that no property has been damaged or destroyed and that nobody has been hurt.

In case you're wondering, it's nowhere near here and it's heading in a direction away from our place, so we are in no danger.

That's my day in a nutshell and now I need to catch up on some recorded TV shows!

Nite all.

No comments: