Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Australia Day 2014

My goodness, the weather wants to remind us about last year, by providing us with 48kph winds and 70kph gusts!

There are strong wind warnings all along the Queensland coast from as far north as Townsville, all the way south to the Gold Coast.

As if we need to be reminded!

During the week, I got a call from 'The Artist', advising me that our friend 'The Beauty' would be presented with a special Australia Day gift from the town of Burrum Heads to acknowledge and recognise her value in our community and to thank her for her friendship and continued involvement in community activities.

This presentation was to remain a secret and my job was to contact her husband 'The Beast' to make sure she attended the Australia Day celebrations at the Community Hall.

So I conspired with 'our group' and we planned to all go together, inviting 'Beauty and the Beast', for the Australia Day sausage sizzle breakfast, the raising of the flag and then the entertainment in the hall afterwards .. which would include the presentation for 'The Beauty'.

I must say, it's a little bit stressful trying to organise surprises like this, without letting the cat out of the bag!

But we were successful and The Beauty appeared to be very surprised and very happy.



It was an interesting morning and I got to meet our local member, Cr Rolf Light and the Fraser Coast, Mayor Gerard O'Connell.  They were very friendly, making small talk about the weather, comparing it to last year, and Rolf Light even shared photos of his beloved dog wearing a diamonte tiara!






These are just a few photos from our morning at the Community Hall.  A pleasant time was had by all.

Adoring Husband and I visited some other friends for a couple of hours after lunch.  By the time we got there, everybody was very merry with a few drinks already under their belts and then we left just before they went over the edge with drunken festivities.

I enjoyed catching up with a few people .. those that we only get to see three or four times each year.

Tonight we met friends at the local Bowls Club for dinner.  Unfortunately, half an hour after we'd placed our orders, one of the kitchen staff came out to tell me that they couldn't provide that meal gluten free and would I like to choose another meal.

That was annoying, because then I had to wait for another 40 minutes for my meal, by which time, everybody else had received and eaten theirs.  So they were all waiting for me to finish before they went home.

Still, it was a nice meal which I enjoyed and the company was special.  I sat with two of the most polite, courteous and genuinely friendly teenagers that I've ever had the pleasure to meet.  So I thoroughly enjoyed that part of the evening.

So our Australia Day was full of friendship and smiles .. just the way Australia Day should be.

Nite all.
  

No comments: