Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Seriously?! Saturated fats are good!

Adoring Husband has to have a medical procedure performed this Friday and has been put on a 'special' diet.

This is a diet recommended by a Gastroenterologist.  A qualified one.  You know?  One that went to medical school for a good number of years, so that he/she could make people healthy?

These are the meal options, as recommended by the Gastroenterologist, to be eaten during the four days leading up to the procedure.

BREAKFAST:

  • Cornflakes or Ricebubbles
  • White toast with honey or marmalade
  • Scrambled eggs on white toast
  • Pancakes
  • Apple Juice
  • Tea or Coffee
MORNING TEA:

  • Plain scones, plain biscuits, vanilla yoghurt or pikelets

LUNCH:

  • Chicken soup (without vegetables)
  • White bread sandwich with chicken/turkey/cheese
  • Apple Juice, lemonade or lemon cordial
  • Tea or Coffee
AFTERNOON TEA:

  • The same as morning tea

DINNER:

  • Chicken/Fish/Pork
  • Potato/Pumpkin/Sweet Potato
  • Boiled white rice
  • White pasta
  • Apple juice, lemonade or lemonade cordial
  • Tea or Coffee
In the 24 hours prior to the procedure, he can only have clear broth or clear fruit juices, bonox or lucozade.

Call me crazy, but this is an invasive procedure that requires him to be anaesthetised, so I believe that his body needs to be as healthy as is possible, with strong immunity.

This will enable his liver to filter and remove the toxic anaesthetic concoction, as quickly as possible, and will help him to recover quickly from having foreign objects inside his body.

From what I can see, everything here (aside from the sweet potato and pumpkin) is 'white' food.  White food full of gluten and sugar and sodium and caffeine.

I can't think of any other foods that could possibly weaken his immune system more than gluten and sugar.

So I decided to do some of my own research and discovered that prior to this particular procedure, people must eat a 'low residue' diet and the actual list of fresh fruit and vegetables allowed on this diet is much more extensive than that shown on the sheet we were given by the Gastroenterologist.

Every day, in every way, I am questioning the common sense of these people who have our health in their hands.

Next, I'd like to add some links to information about saturated fats.  We've been told for 40 yrs that they are bad and contribute to heart disease, but this is not the case and these links will take you to up-to-date information regarding saturated fats .. and each of these links have further links to take you to even more information, if you choose to go further into it.

Eating-fat-is-good-for-you-Doctors-change-their-minds-after-40-years

Enjoy-saturated-fats-theyre-good-for-you

Saturated-fat-healthy

Last, but not least, an old photo of me, taken in 1987, all dressed up for the Policemen's Ball.  Sheriff Roz, attempting to look mean!


Nite all

No comments: