Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, January 20, 2014

Nutrition

So I've made some enquiries about studying nutrition.

The Australian Institute of Applied Sciences has an Advanced Diploma in Nutritional Medicine that covers a lot of subjects in which I am most interested.  Aside from nutrition, they cover things like iridology, mineral therapy, anatomy and physiology, chemistry, clinical medicine and much, much more.  Sounds intense doesn't it?

The Australasian College of Natural Therapies also has the Advanced Diploma and they concentrate on boosting health and preventing disease ... I like the way they think.

Health Academy Australia has an Advanced Certificate in Nutritional Counselling which covers human nutrition, nutrition for disease management, children's nutrition and counselling skills.  I don't think this one is 'intense' enough.

The Endeavour College of Natural Health offers Study Bachelor of Health Science (Nutritional Medicine).  Their focus is the study of food, its nutrients and how diet affects health and wellbeing.  They specifically state that graduates will be eligible for membership with professional organisations like Aust Natural Therapists Association, Aust Traditional Medicine Society and The Nutrition Society of Aust Inc.

So, I'm still not certain that I am willing to make the commitment, and I'm not sure if my brain is capable of taking all of the information in, but my obsession with nutrition and how different foods,  and their vitamins, minerals, nutrients etc can heal/treat/boost the human body, is intensely interesting to me and I REALLY want to learn more.

I'd really like to use the information to help people and at the ripe old age of 50+, I'm beginning to understand how vitally important nutritional education is and I worry that people are so apathetic about what goes into their mouths ... just as I myself was, for such a long time, with little pockets of interest, at various stages of my life.

The media come up with a new idea every day about what's good for you and what's not and it's confusing for the regular Joe.

There is always a new study with results that contradict that last study.

So, no doubt, nutritional education will be a continual learning process.

I've had a keen interest in nutrition since I chose to go 'gluten free' two years ago, and felt the difference that it made to my health and wellbeing.

But the kicker, for me, was quitting refined sugar and processed foods.  It's been 5 months, but still, every day, I feel better and better.  I imagine, after 50 yrs of food abuse, it's going to take a lot longer than 5 months to heal the damage done to my body.

Anyway, I will continue, tomorrow, to research some more courses and hopefully, I will hear from the people who I have emailed tonight, and I'll have a better idea of what I want to do.

Now it's time for bed ... good sleep is just as important as good food!

Nite all.

No comments: