Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Family Treasures

I read some interesting research about SIDS yesterday.

In case you don't know, I lost my first child to SIDS at the tender age of 4 months, so I always read, with interest, any new developments in possible causes.

I was shocked and intrigued to read that 85% of SIDS deaths occur at 2 months and 4 months of age, which also appears to be the ages for certain vaccinations.

Anyway, I know that I have Jamie's paperwork here somewhere with a timeline of his medical history .. he was born 9 weeks early, so he spent his first two months of life in hospital .. and I was given a medical sheet that listed all of his treatments, vaccinations, check-ups and weight details.

So today, I went in search of this paperwork.

I've had a box sitting in my work space for about 6 months.  It's full of all kinds of paperwork and photographs and, purely due to laziness, I have put off unpacking it... until today.  I found:

  • Kid's school reports and photos. 
  • MY school reports.
  • My father's medical records and all the paperwork relating to Mum's compensation claim for Dad's wrongful death.
  • Funeral details for both Mum and Dad.
  • Old letters that Dad had written to me way back in the 70s.
  • A letter written by my sister, aged 13, explaining how she would treat her children when she had them.
  • A note from one of the kids' babysitters, with her signature, telling me to keep it because she will be famous one day.
  • A poem that I had written for my mother when I was about 16 or 17 and she laminated it and hung it on the wall.
  • Many many emails from Vegan Chickie when she was in her late teens and early 20s.
  • Paperwork, that I didn't know existed, about my Mother's side of the family.  Information about my Grandfather and Grandmother and beyond, as well as very old photos and a storyline to go with each person.  Sooooo interesting!
If only I'd known, when we were in Esk last week, that my Grandfather's name is on the War Memorial in that town, I'd have gone looking for it!

Needless to say, I wiled a couple of hours away, reminiscing through that box and never did find Jamie's paperwork .. that has been left for another day.

Today, I mostly spent in the kitchen.

Bacon and Eggs for breakfast and then a loaf of seedy bread, chocolate brownies, home-made gluten free sausage rolls (which took FOREVER), spicy tomato sauce and then orange chilli chicken for dinner.

I think I will make tomorrow, Sunday, my day of rest.  No cooking tomorrow.

BGWLBH is leaving tomorrow *insert sad face here*

She has already packed her car and since we don't do 'goodbyes', she may not even be here when I wake up in the morning!

I've created a book of sorts for her, with recipes, shopping lists, clean eating tips, lists of dos and don'ts, what food to avoid, ideas for easy meals etc etc.  I hope that it comes in handy for her and that she is able to continue this healthy change in her lifestyle once she gets home and into a routine.

Time for bed.

Nite all.




2 comments:

The Undertoad said...

I should have been keeping up to date with your blog, but I can't find a subscribe button and I get sidetracked without prompts. I lost most of my history between Kingaroy and that caravan park in Rockhampton when all our boxes drowned under a tarp that split in a huge downpour. The lids on the most important stuff had cracked and the water fill the plastic boxes. I will have to visit and read some stuff. I lost dads stuff too. Is one of those letters from Dad from when he was in New Guinea?

Age said...

If you put your email address in the 'follow by email' box .. you will receive an email every time I post something :)