Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, January 17, 2014

Weight Loss

I am eating more food now, in a 24 hour period,  than I can ever remember eating in my life. (but not ten eggs in one day!)

The difference is, that it's all fresh food, and no processed food, no sugar, no gluten and all the dairy that I eat is full fat .. no skim, no lite, no low fat, no fat-free.  I drink and use raw milk as often as possible, only eat soft cheeses and use butter a lot.

I use coconut oil for everything .. cooking, dressings, smoothies, skin care, for cleaning teeth, hair conditioner etc etc.

I began this way of eating at the beginning of September last year (2013), after I had done LOTS of research on line, and put two and two together, I created my own diet regime.

What I am doing, is no specific diet - I've discovered that it is probably closest to the Paleo way of eating, but mostly, I've used my own common sense and chosen the foods that I believe will lift me to optimum health.

Since September, I've noticed these things

  1. When I wake in the morning .. it's no longer painful when I climb out of bed.  Where it used to take ten or fifteen minutes for my joints to loosen up and stop feeling pain, I now climb out of bed pain free.
  2. My fingernails grow faster and stronger .. though I am not accustomed to this and it annoys me to have to clean my nails regularly and file the rough edges that occur because my habits are those of someone without fingernails.
  3. I have more energy and instead of requiring a nap every day at around 2-3pm, I only need a nap perhaps once in a week or once every ten days, and that's because I stay up too late at night.
  4. I sleep more soundly.  For the last seven years or more, I haven't slept no longer than two hours before waking up to either go to the bathroom, or to ease the pain in my joints/back or because my brain suddenly decides to be active.  Now I sleep for at least 5 hours and if I didn't drink so much water before I went to bed, it would probably be longer.
  5. To me, my eyes seem clearer when I look in the mirror.  The whites are whiter and the colour of my eyes is clearer.
  6. My skin feels softer to me and after the initial breakouts when my body felt like it was detoxing, it feels and looks clearer to me.
  7. The plaque has loosened and dropped from my teeth.  I know this seems strange and I haven't read anything anywhere to indicate that this is a side effect of clean eating, but it was sudden, and over a period of two days, that the plaque literally fell off the inside of my teeth.
  8. I have more energy during the day and I am motivated - mostly in the kitchen - and for researching new recipes.
  9. I don't have cravings any more.  I once had regular sugar cravings and salt/savoury cravings.
  10. The whole idea of this diet change, was not to lose weight, but to become healthier and to fix the minor health issues I had (as well as any imagined major issues), but as a bonus, I have lost 7 kgs in less than 5 months and I feel fantastic.  The weight loss has been slow but with a lifestyle change like this, I expect it to be permanent weight loss.
I've watched the last game of tennis for the night, so I'm off to bed to get my 5 solid hours of sleep before my bladder urges me to wake up.


I had a rest day in the kitchen today, because I was searching for some paperwork and ended up taking a stroll down memory lane, finding paperwork that I didn't realise that I had, including some interesting facts about my mother's side of the family .. which I hope to share with you tomorrow!

Anyway .. I digress ..

Nite all.

No comments: