Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, April 21, 2014

The Party's Over

Here I am at midnight, sitting at my desk after clearing everything away from our dinner party this evening and feeling very happy.

I had such a good night.

We have lovely friends ... you know who you are!

My only fail for the meal was the crackers that I attempted to make for pre-dinner nibbles.  Somehow the buzzer on the oven timer went off without me hearing it and the oven turned itself off in the middle of the baking process.  My crackers were a very sad and sorry sight that could not be saved.

*insert sad face here*

I made a Baba Ghanoush (eggplant dip) and then had veggie sticks for dipping (instead of the crackers) carrot, celery and capsicum.  I also made little nibbles of celery with peanut butter in the curve and cucumber slices with smoked salmon and home made mayonnaise.

Entree was pumpkin soup with sour cream and sprinkled with walnuts and bacon bits.

Main was a little late because I forgot to put the chicken in the oven before I served the entree (I will never again make fun of contestants on MKR or Master Chef!  It's very easy to get distracted and miss steps in your plan!).  Lemon and wine chicken drumsticks with sweet potato/potato mash and broccoli and snow peas.  I made up a lemon, leek and tomato type gravy for the chicken.

Then, thanks to Pete Evans' cookbook, we had Raspberry Mousse Cheesecakes for dessert .. I added strawberries and cream on top.

I don't think there was any food left on anybody's plates, except my dessert .. I just couldn't fit anything else into my belly .. and I only ate half of it.  So I'm pretty pleased that I didn't fail at any other of the courses!

We had a little visitor during the entree, when a rather large flying ant (so large that at first, we mistook it for a dragon fly) landed in someone's bowl of pumpkin soup!  What we thought was the end of his life, was really just a brief nap.  While we were waiting for the main meal to cook, he began to stir and after giving him a bath to clean the pumpkin soup off his wings (yes you read that correctly .. a bath to wash the soup from his wings), some TLC and a little coaxing, he was soon hovering over our heads again!

His wings still have a bit of a pumpkiny colour to them ...


We listened to some great old music, with a couple of new songs here and there, while we all laughed hysterically at Adoring Husband's tales of disasters, broken bones, pub brawls and town exiles, caravan fires and car accidents.


Everybody shared some life stories and we had some good laughs.  Excuse the quality of the photo .. just a quick happy snap.  I didn't even think to take some food photos *forehead slap*

It's almost 1am, so I think I might head off to bed.  Tomorrow is dog grooming day.

Nite all.

No comments: