Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Free From Amalgam

I guarantee that this will bring a tear to your eye .. in a good way!



Today I caught the 6am train to Cooroy, where the Bare-chested Chef picked me up and drove me to my dental appointment at Maroochydore.

I had four amalgam fillings removed. What started out as a 4 hour appointment, ended up being a 2.5 hour appointment because everything went so smoothly without a hitch.

It was an interesting experience where the anaesthetic numbed my face from the nose down. I couldn't feel my face, my lips or my tongue. The safety precautions used to protect the dentist, her assistant and me from the mercury and the vapours that were emitted were pretty amazing.

A rubber dam was used to protect me from ingesting any mercury/amalgam that was drilled from my teeth. It also covered my nose so that I didn't breathe in any of the vapours.

A large vacuum hose was beside my chair sucking any vapours or fragments away from me as they rose from my mouth.

Suction was used in my mouth to make sure that everything was immediately removed as it was drilled out.

The dentist and her assistant had special masks, gloves and protective clothing.

Once the amalgams were removed, all the protective gear was disposed of, including my bib, their masks and gloves, all the tools and the rubber dam. It was all replaced with fresh sterilised gear, to continue with the tooth restoration.

It was pretty intense!

I must say that the very back of my jaw is aching a little tonight from having my mouth open so wide for so long.

It was a painless exercise. Even the drilling, which I was most afraid of today, was a breeze and I barely noticed it.

The four teeth that had the amalgams are now restored and I'm feeling great.

My next visit, in February, is to have the gum disease in the bottom gum treated.

Vegan Chickie and I have spent the evening lying on my bed catching up and now it is rapidly approaching 1am!!  I've been awake since 4am and I'm just beginning to feel a little weary.

My diet today has consisted of two cups of chicken bone broth, one cup of coffee and a pear. Tomorrow morning Vegan Chickie, Chicklet and I will be having breakfast at Civic and I'm looking forward to a big bacon and egg brekky!

Time now, for me to sleep.

Nite all.    

No comments: