Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Last Sunday of Autumn

I don't know if you've seen this before. I saw it for the first time, a few years ago, and was amused, amazed and entertained, so when I saw it pop up on my Facebook feed today, I thought I'd share it here for your enjoyment.

I did what I do best on a Sunday morning, and stayed in bed, reading and playing on my iPad til after 10am. I did this while Adoring Husband was working his butt off, whipper snipping and mowing the shop lawns and then doing our lawns.

While he was finishing our lawns, I went for a ride in the glorious Autumn sunshine to get my morning coffee. I rode the long way and meandered along the river path, playing my music really LOUD through my earphones and stopping to chat with a couple of the shop owners before I decided to head home.

Off in the distance, I watched a Whistling Kite climb high in the sky and then dive bomb so fast toward the tops of the tall trees, it was a spectacular dive! I stopped, watching and waiting for it to fly back above the trees, to see what it had caught.

It never came back up, but not far to the right of the trees, I saw my favourite bird, the White-bellied Sea Eagle, soaring in slow motion and forming a V with it's huge wing span. Suddenly from nowhere, two Whistling Kites began dive bombing it! It quickly flew over my head and towards the river, with the two kites close on it's tail.

THEN, as it got closer to the river, a second WBSE appeared, and the kites, even though they were less than half the size of the eagles, began bombing both of the eagles! So I turned around and I hightailed it towards the river (even though I DID NOT have my camera with me), so that I could watch the action.

As I got close, I lost sight of them through some trees and by the time I got to the river's edge, there was no sign of ANY of the birds, in ANY direction. Disappeared into thin air! Ugh!

It's probably a good thing, because if anything more exciting had happened, I might have been really sad not to have my camera with me!

Most of today, I spent at my lovely clean desk, looking at some old photos and found this one ...

It was a neighbour's birthday cake covered in fresh frangipanis. This happened in January this year and looking at the photo today, I remembered how poisonous and toxic the sap from these flowers is! Luckily, nobody was affected, but I'll make sure I tell them to avoid using fresh frangipanis for decoration on food in future.

This was our dinner tonight. I did duck breast with orange butter sauce, served with bubble'n'squeak.

Now I'm off to bed. It's going to be a big week for me!

Nite all.

No comments: