Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, September 4, 2016

No More Sleeps!

It's been quite a day!

We planned on leaving home at 7am and we were both awake and out of bed before the alarm even sounded.

In one hour, I finished packing, finished clearing out the fridge, had a shower, tidied up a few odds and ends, checked off my 'to do' list and as we walked out the door, Adoring Husband asked me if I needed a hat ... lucky! Because I forgot to put that on my packing list!

We left the house right on time.

There were a few lunatics on the road this morning. Overtaking illegally, overtaking and cutting us off, trucks overtaking legally but without enough room left on the overtaking lane to get past and plenty of others taking unnecessary risks.

No wonder that stretch of the highway is notorious for accidents. There is nothing wrong with the road. The real problem is the stupidity of the drivers.

We made the mandatory stop at Sexie Coffee. Adoring Husband ordered his usual Jumbo Cappuccino and I had a large latte, which, as always, was delicious.

Our next stop was Gympie for a GF Beefy's Meat Pie - my last indulgence before commencing my three week kick start to better health.

The final stop before arriving at the Chicklet destination, was the Noosa Farmer's Markets.

OMG! Why didn't I know about these before now??? What a fabulous market. So much goodness in one market!

We were there for perhaps 30 minutes - a speed shopping expedition - and I bought (all organic):

  • A bag of mixed kale leaves.
  • A bag of romaine lettuce leaves.
  • A bag of carrots.
  • A bag of snap peas.
  • A bag of green beans.
  • A large punnet of strawberries.
  • A large bag of apples.
  • A bunch of spring onions.
  • Half a cabbage.
  • Four cucumbers.
  • A hand of lady finger bananas.
  • Five avocados.
  • A bottle of chilli, lime and coriander dressing.
  • A tub of basil infused feta cheese.
  • A tub of sprouted Adzuki beans (yum!)
  • Three bottles of ginger kombucha.
  • An organic pasture raised rump steak.
  • A packet of organic pasture raised pork sausages.
  • A whole organic chicken.
  • Four organic lamb loin chops.
  • A packet of slivered blanched almonds.
  • A packet of pine nuts.
 I think that's all. I've already made up two big salads today with the kale, lettuce, cucumber, adzuki beans, avocado, snap peas and a sprinkling of basil feta with a splash of the dressing. SO delicious!!

I don't even know how much I spent at the markets, but after just those two salads today, I feel energised and ready to take on the world!

We left the markets at about 10.45am and headed for my final destination - the Chicklet family home!

After a warm family greeting, it took Adoring Husband quite a while to unpack the car of my suitcase, camera bag, laptop, esky full of food and drink from home and then all the shopping from the markets. Anyone would think I was staying for a month!! Oh!! Wait!! I am!!

Much to Chicklet's dismay, the first few hours were NOT all about her because Vegan Chickie and I only had a few hours til she left for the airport, so we had lots of news and gossip to catch up on, as well as instructions and explanations for the coming few weeks.

It was very frustrating for Chicklet but we eventually farewelled Vegan Chickie as she climbed aboard the airport shuttle bus, and this meant Chicklet could have my undivided attention. Mama had left her a little box of goodies to open after she left, which had a tiny lego figurine and four kinder surprise toys inside it.

We spent some time putting the toys together and playing with them. Then we joined the dots on the dragon picture in her new dragon story book.

She decided that she did not want dinner, but instead wanted to lie on the couch eating grapes and playing on her iPad. She did this while I ate my second salad of the day.

We cleared all of the toys and mess out of the lounge room, had a bath, read the new dragon book, talked about our day and after a while I had to get tough with her and tell her to be quiet and go to sleep! Which she did!

That was my cue to tidy the kitchen and unpack my suitcase, climb into my pyjamas, phone Adoring Husband to wish him good night and then get comfortable in my cosy bed. It's quite chilly here on the Sunny Coast. I even had to search for a jacket earlier in the evening.

I now have all of my electronic devices plugged in and charging.

I just looked at the clock. I thought it was about 9.30 - 10pm. It's 11.15pm! I'm off to get some sleep. I have a feeling that I'm going to need it!

Vegan Chickie should have boarded her plane by now. Her flight is due to depart at 11.30pm.

Happy and safe travelling my lovely daughter!

Nite all.

No comments: