Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Rude Awakening

As you know, for months now, I have had lazy starts to my days.

Even if I wake at 6am, I still stay in bed for hours on end, reading, playing, writing or listening to something.

This morning was quite different!

At 4am, I was woken from a very sound sleep by my bedroom door opening and a little voice saying "Sorry. Sorry. Sorry. I had a terrible, terrible nightmare." as she ran to my side of the bed and threw herself into my arms, which, at the time, were wrapped around a body pillow.

She spent the next three hours in my bed and at one stage I heard her say 'You are such a kind Bozzy Wozzy'.

It was well after midnight when I fell asleep, so it meant that I was functioning on 3.5hours of sleep - not conducive to calm and peaceful grandparenting.

Thankfully, the Bare-chested Chef bought me a coffee from the bakery before he headed off to work, so at least I had a heart starter to help ease me into the day.

Chicklet's big plan for the day, was to teach me how to play Minecraft.

A fruitless exercise, to say the least.

She is so fast at swiping and tapping and poking and prodding and manipulating the features of the game, and while doing so, leaning across in front of me, obscuring my vision, that I haven't got a snowball's chance in hell of learning anything about the game.

She also gets so excited about playing, that she talks ten to the dozen, so she is virtually impossible to understand!

Her frustrations were obvious when I was 'killing' sheep, instead of shearing them. Smashing windows instead of looking through them. Adding concrete blocks inside the house, instead of opening doors. Falling in the water because I had no control over where I walked. I even killed one of our pet cats, much to her horror!

In the space of an hour, she had created a whole world for me and built a two storey home made out of bricks and glass, with a pig killing area in the garden, a bunny enclosure, sheep yards and cattle yards, chests full of items that we might need in case of an invasion by 'endermen', 'zombies', 'creepers' and 'skeletons' to name but a few.

She was constantly yelling at me to 'Control your pig Bozzy Wozzy!' 'Stay out of the water Bozzy Wozzy!' 'Stop killing the sheep Bozzy Wozzy!' 'Shut the door Bozzy Wozzy' 'Hurry inside, the sun is setting Bozzy Wozzy!'

I had no idea how to do (or stop doing, as the case may be) any of those things!!

So she simply snatched my iPad from my hands and inside three seconds, had fixed what I had broken, and surprisingly, still wanted to continue playing!

This went on for six hours.

Yes, you heard me correctly.

Six hours.

My only relief was a couple of toilet breaks and a water bottle refill.

And still ... after six hours, I was none the wiser.

BCC saved the day when he returned home on a work break at 3.30pm and I was left alone in my room to breathe and doze for half an hour.

It was just what I needed.

After BCC returned to work, we did some drawings for Mama, practised writing some words, did some sticker art and some colouring in. Chicklet ate a bowl of raw bok choy, snap peas and carrots for dinner before having the mandatory bubble bath. Then we read the new farm book before finally dozing off to sleep at about 7.15pm.

One thing I did learn today ... that I need to put a cap on the number of hours we spend on Minecraft!!  If I had any mental energy left right now, I might even practise for an hour or so, but I am well and truly Minecrafted out for the day!

Vegan Chickie is in Paris ...

... happy as can be.

Nite all.


No comments: