Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Out For The Day

I had a lovely day. Just me, myself and I.

I started at Zabe Espresso Bar where I bought myself a take away coffee - Zabe coffee is 'to die for' - but while I was waiting, I noticed that Val was at the piano. The same Val for whom I bought a gerbera to thank her for her beautiful music, about a year ago.

Of course, I had to hang around and enjoy her music, and she had a mate with her, playing the banjo, which added to the fun. It was VERY VERY loud in that small coffee shop, and there were a lot of middle-aged and elderly people in there, all attempting to converse over the loud music, but I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent there.

If I lived in the area, I would sit in this coffee bar every day. I love the atmosphere. The staff are warm and friendly. It attracts a very eclectic crowd. The coffee is divine. The entertainment is delightful. It's my kinda place.


I left there to follow up on some retail therapy. There are two clothes shops that I like in Tewantin and I must have spent about 40 minutes in each of them trying on clothes. Unfortunately (for me) or fortunately (for my wallet), I did not find a single thing that I liked.

There is also a shoe shop nearby. I didn't even get to see all of the shoes, because I found two pairs that I loved within 2 minutes of walking in the door. The shoes are a little pricy, but luckily, one of the pairs was on sale!



After spending my money, I popped into the RSL and while I was signing in, I overheard a woman introducing herself to somebody .. it was a name I recognised. When she stated where she was on holidays from .. Perth .. I realised that I knew her from more than forty years ago. We actually walked to high school together on our first day as high schoolers.

I got her attention and she remembered me too, although, I would never have recognised her to look at. She seemed a lot older, both physically and mentally, than me. I discovered that my mother had still been in contact with her mother right up until the late 90s. We spent more than an hour together catching up and reliving memories of our youth.

We didn't exchange phone numbers or any contact details. While it was nice to catch up, we are very different people, and I can't imagine a future friendship with her. 1972 was a long time ago.

I arrived home in time to see Chicklet before she had a shower and bedtime story with her Dadu.

I had a glass of wine today, on an empty stomach, and I can still, seven hours later, feel the effects of it! That may be because I still haven't eaten! I've had three coffees and a glass of wine all day. Full of healthful goodness and very high in nutritional value - NOT.

Note to self: Eat a hearty and healthful breakfast in the morning. Make up for today's slackness.

A good night's sleep will also help.

Nite all.  

No comments: