Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Finish Line

I feel certain that I could have made my website live this afternoon, if not for the near catastrophe that befell me and caused me to lose almost two hours of valuable time.

I thought that I had lost two months worth of work with just the press of a button!

I had contacted my host to get some advice on changing my domain name, but he failed to give me all the information (not his fault), so I followed the link that he provided and found the instructional video, which I watched and followed to the letter.

Then I pressed 'enter'.

Everything GONE.

A big fat 404 error.

Page not found.

Nothing.

I spent an hour trying everything I could think of. I scoured both my host's website and the Wordpress website trying to find some answers.

Just as I was feeling the terrible effects of hyperventilation, I decided to ask for help.

Thank goodness my host has a fabulous chat function on their site, so I contacted them again and pleaded for assistance.

A gentleman by the name of David H (different from the first man), was incredibly helpful, investigated fully, explained exactly why it happened and then took ten minutes to restore my website to it's 'pre-disappearance' glory.

When he was finished, he sent me an email with a copy of our discussion and a link to my website.

I clicked on the link.

WAHLAH!!!

There it was on the screen. Just as I remembered it.

I could breathe again.

At that point, I decided that I needed a break. Too many hours in front of that screen over the last three days was crossing my eyes and frying my brain and causing me to make unnecessary errors.

I don't want this to be a stressful experience. The whole idea of the website is to bring me joy and happiness! Today, it did NOT do that.

Luckily, tomorrow, I have a booked engagement, so I will be away from the screen all day. Just what I need. A social outing to help me relax and recuperate.

I'll be fresh and ready to finalise the site on Thursday!

It will be an early night for me - 10pm - and I'm off to bed.

Nite all.




No comments: