Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Mosaic Madness

Well! I can't say that it's finished yet, but I actually got to bring home one of my projects today. It still  needs another layer of grout and then I'll coat it with a layer of clear resin.

Considering that it's our first attempt, both Creative Cath and I were pretty happy with our efforts.

We are both very critical of our own work because we can clearly see how differently we would do it if we had the chance for a do over.

On the day that Teach announced this project, she told us to bring plant pots in for our first mosaic project, and there were plenty of tiles available for us to break up and use, but "I" was the instigator with the table top and when CC saw mine, she returned home to get hers as well.

This was not even close to what Teach had in mind and all the tiles that we took to the class were of different thicknesses, which is not ideal for grouting.

It means that our table tops are very uneven, which is why I plan on putting the clear resin on top, to hopefully even out the surface, so that it can be useful as a table.

So we were our own worst enemy.

A few pics to show some of the process.

Smashed up some tiles with a rubber hammer. The action was quite therapeutic, but the noise was disturbing!


Used a special silicone to stick the tiles to the table top.


A bucket and cloth used to wipe the excess grout from the table top.


This is what I've brought home ...


So, now we are on a break for about seven weeks. I have a couple of mosaic-ing ideas in my head, however, I doubt that I will get to start them, because there is always something else, more important to do, before time can be spent on such frivolous matters.

I'll spend the first 2-3 weeks focussing on the website and after that, we'll see.

I know you're thinking "It's only three hours on a Saturday morning", but for me, because of the strange way that my brain is wired, it wipes out the entire day. I simply don't have the motivation to do anything else when I get home and usually spend the afternoon on the couch watching meaningless TV with Adoring Husband.

It means that for the duration of the break, I will have approximately 56 extra hours to play with .. and I should be able to accomplish a LOT in that time. "SHOULD" being the operative word.

It was a very pleasant morning at Art and we learnt a lot about each other. There were only two students, including myself, so there was a lot of personal information shared and we had some good laughs too.

Everybody has a story.

I think I'll head off for an early night now.

Nite all.

 

No comments: