Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Solo Effort

I had an interesting start to my day because I woke up a little later than usual, after a night of very broken sleep (that'll teach me for having coffee at 4.30pm!).

Just as I was about to jump under the shower and while I was sitting on the golden throne, I received a phone call from Vegan Chickie - which I didn't answer - but I called back after I was finished on the throne.

It was Chicklet's 7th birthday today, so after I said a quick hello to Vegan Chickie, I sang 'Happy Birthday' to Chicklet in a dreadful attempt at soprano. Chicklet wasn't really listening because she was yelling over the phone that she received three different dragons for her birthday.


She was also very excited to be going to a farm for the day where she was going to feed and touch different animals - but she was especially excited because Mama and Dadu were taking her and they would be a family for the day.

My gift to her will be the experience of touching a crocodile when she visits us in May. The crocodile is her favourite animal (after the non-existent dragon and dinosaur). She will also get to sit with and feed some meerkats (as will I).

By the time we said our goodbyes, I had twenty minutes to get to work and the only thing I had done was throw some clothes on. I was running around like a chook with it's head cut off and left the house in a mad dash at 2 minutes to nine. I arrived at the shop at 9.04am, just as The Blonde Bombshell arrived on her bike.

She kindly helped me open the shop and take the signs and chairs out. We were both lathered in perspiration because the weather was oppressively hot again this morning.

At our peak, there were six of us for coffee and it was a great morning while JMac gave us a very animated description of her concert experience on Saturday night where she saw John Farnham, Jon Stevens, Ross Wilson and The Black Sorrows.

I spent the remainder of the morning making contact with the editors of all the local newsletters, paying for each of our full page ads and then sending the finished ad through to them.

A few people came through the doors, but not many wanted to part with their money today. Some were in for a chat, which is always lovely. There was a booking for The Gypsy tomorrow and a regular male customer bought a Cenzoni bag for his wife - just because. How sweet.

Adoring Husband dropped in to see if I wanted lunch, which I had already ordered from 'A Taste of Burrum', so his timing was perfect to pick it up for me. He then returned later in the afternoon to help me pack up and close the shop. He's a good man.

Just before I walked out the door, the couple from the markets who I ordered another timber display stand from, appeared. I invited them in and they stayed for thirty minutes while we chatted about family and health and work until I herded them out the door so that I could go home.

Oh and Mayberry, the lady who is creating art with record albums came by with her newest creations, which aren't even finished yet, to get our opinion. I love them!


In the kitchen I prepared two different dinners, one for tonight and one for tomorrow night, so all I have to do tomorrow night is make a sweet potato mash and steam some beans to go with the chicken, mushroom and tomato casserole.

There are some storms about tonight and it looks like we might get some rain in an hour or so - hopefully it won't be too nasty because there has been quite a bit of damage caused by storms in areas south and south west of here in the past few days. Fingers crossed we just get some wet stuff!

I'm off for an early night.

Nite all.

No comments: