Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Day Sixteen of Chicklet Holiday

Seven year old child + goo + Poppy Bluebarry = Fail!!

I worked this morning so Poppy and Chicklet drove into The Bay to get the items from our list that we missed on Friday because of the public holiday.

The story goes that Chicklet picked up an elastic band off the floor of Go Natural and left the shop with it - then had a meltdown because she needed to return it!!

I had a great morning at the shop and had a steady stream of customers through the door all day. Everyone was happy and chatty but I think the gale force conditions outside probably kept a few people at home.

Half an hour before closing, I received a phone call from Poppy Bluebarry to find out what time I was closing. When I told him, he explained to me that there was a BIG problem with Chicklet, that she had been playing with the 'goo' and got it stuck on her forehead and all through her hair.

They tried wetting it under the shower to no avail and he had already cut some of the hair at the front to remove some goo, but decided to stop because she'd have ended up with no hair at the front of her head if he kept going.

The 'goo' is a black blob of cold pliable jelly type substance that has a mind of it's own. We have kept it in it's container thus far, but sometimes we place it on the kitchen bench to see how far it will spread overnight (it spreads a long way on a flat surface) and it's fun to play with, but is very sticky on certain surfaces, such as cloth and skin.

It says on the outside of the container 'Keep away from skin and eyes'

So Chicklet had put it on her forehead and while she was attempting to peel it off, her hair stuck to some of it. The harder she tried to remove it, the more hair attached itself and the goo itself stuck like glue to her forehead, so by the time she got to the shop, it was a complete disaster!

She hid behind Poppy's legs as they came into the shop and I was serving a customer at the time, so they shuffled their way into the back room and waited until I'd finished.

I snuck into the training room and Chicklet looked at me and whispered "I'm sorry"

On closer inspection, it really was a disaster. Her entire forehead and the whole front section of her hair above her forehead was completely matted together with goo.

I felt like it might be an impossible task and that we'd require a trip to the hair dresser to cut all of her beautiful long hair. I was imagining Vegan Chickie's horrified face when she saw the result. I wondered how long we would have to endure crying and squirming and complaining and shrieking as I attempted the impossible!

God, I wish I'd taken photos!! I never think of these things until after the fact.

My first thought was Eucalyptus Oil, which I used successfully on her forehead. I wasn't sure that it would work on her hair, so I decided to try soap and water first - all that did was bring all the goo together into a giant smooth flat lump, still stuck in the hair.

I lay her down in the bathtub and splashed eucalyptus oil all over the goo and began massaging it through her hair, hoping against all hope that something good would happen. Miraculously, within seconds, the goo literally disintegrated in my hands.

Within three minutes, there was absolutely no evidence that anything had ever happened EXCEPT for that small area where AH had cut the hair! Now she has a tiny tuft of short hair front and centre.

I claimed "Goo Removal" as my super power and told my little family that they were VERY LUCKY to have a Bozzy Wozzy to save the day!!

From there I cooked lunch and dinner at the same time.

We cleared the outdoor table ready to start on the Fire Dragon Cave tomorrow.

Chicklet had some quiet time in her room while I watched some football.

We released some dragon eggs into a jug of water which (apparently) will grow into tiny water dragons. We'll see.

I finished preparing dinner and afterwards, Chicklet and I had a longer than usual cuddle and chat time before she fell asleep.

What a day! I'm done!

Nite all.    

No comments: