Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Love My Work

I need to declare how much I LOVE teaching photography.

This is only my second workshop, but the happiness that I feel when my students 'get' what I'm telling them is almost overwhelming.

The beaming smile that happens when they learn something unexpected, but meaningful to them, is a joy to behold.

The gasp of excitement when they realise that something they believed would be difficult to learn is easier than expected, is music to my ears.

When they actually put what I teach into practice and they get the result 'I' asked for, well that's an amazingly satisfying feeling for both of us.

Today was like that.

I felt that my students left the class at the end of the day, exhausted but on a high, full of gratitude, and looking forward to day two.

I'm looking forward to day two as well!

This is a small, intimate and friendly group of four ladies who were each warm and welcoming as the next one walked through the door and who all spent the day helping each other find the different dials, buttons and settings on their cameras.

We spent an hour in the morning practicing what they'd learnt about ISO, aperture and shutter speed indoors and then an hour in the afternoon at the beach practicing the same outdoors. I was surprised at how quickly they got the hang of it and how easily they understood which dials to use to change each of those settings.

They are a clever bunch of ladies.

The Motivator made a fresh batch of GF brownies which were still warm when she arrived at the shop. There was enough for morning and afternoon teas and there is still more for tomorrow! One of the ladies brought along a savoury dip with celery and carrot sticks which she shared with everyone. We also had fresh grapes and strawberries with tea and coffee.

Nobody touched the jug of water that I had in the middle of the table! Naughty ladies!

Meanwhile The Motivator had a VERY busy morning in the shop with lots of customers and good sales.

After everybody left, I had to clean up the room, wash all the coffee cups and set up the trays ready for tomorrow's morning tea, so it was after 3.30pm when I left.

On the way home, I had to drop in to see a lady who did my first photography workshop. She loves to chat so by the time we finished talking business and then finished talking pleasure, I didn't arrive home until 5pm!!

Adoring Husband had cooked a roast lamb during the day for lunch so we used the last of that to make toasted sandwiches for dinner - a nice easy dinner because I was positively exhausted!

I didn't get to sleep until around 3am this morning and my alarm woke me at 6am so I've been running on three hours of sleep all day. I was in bed at 1.30am but just couldn't relax enough to fall asleep - even running through my mediation app twice didn't help.

It's probably not surprising that I've misplaced my keys twice today and my phone once. I guess I should be grateful that they were my only 'running on empty' problems all day.

It's now 7.30pm and even though my beloved Broncos are playing the Sharks in the footy tonight, I doubt that I will see the game to it's completion. I feel that sleep will claim me before then. I have actually tipped against my team tonight and already they are looking fantastic and are winning 12-nil!


Have a fabulous Sunday everybody!

Nite all.  

No comments: