Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, January 3, 2020

Good News

While all hell is breaking loose with the horrendous fires all over Australia and we are feeling frustrated and helpless against the wrath of Mother Nature, I thought it timely to pass on some good news:

  • New surveys reveal that the population of humpback whales in the south Atlantic region now number 24,900 - almost 93%  of their population size before they were hunted to the brink of extinction.
  • Chinese authorities began preparations for the creation of the largest national park in the country’s history, covering an area of 27,134 km², and home to more than 1,200 wild giant pandas.
  • The indigenous Waorani community of Ecuador won a landmark case against oil companies this year, protecting 180,000 hectares of their land against exploitation.
  • Dolphins are breeding in the Potomac River in Washington for the first time since the 1880s, whale populations are exploding off the shores of New York, and 100 seal pups have been born on the shores of the Thames, 60 years after the river was declared 'biologically dead.' 
  • In July, Ethiopia smashed the world record for tree planting. Led by Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, millions of Ethiopians planted 353 million trees in 12 hours.
I have LOTS more good news items to share, but that’s enough for today.

It was another fabulous day in the shop and it was so busy there was no time to add to the dragon! There was a final flurry ten minutes before closing and it was 3.24pm when we locked the doors.

I decided to go to the club tonight and while I was lucky on the pokies, the rest of our group were sitting ‘next’ to the lucky table - which was full of visitors from Maryborough, all of whom won the majority of raffle prizes tonight!

Well, it’s already 11.30pm and I’m working tomorrow so I’d best get some sleep.

Nite all.

No comments: