Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, August 8, 2021

Slow Sunday

I was feeling unmotivated and a bit foggy in the brain today, so not much was accomplished.

My 40 year old Singer sewing machine went to a new home.

I believe that the last time I used it was to sew Vegan Chickie’s first school uniform - that was 36 years ago and it has been stored in the garage here for the last 13 years.

The Artful Dodger has recently had trouble with her sewing machine so I offered her mine. My intention was to pass it on to a charity, so she can use it until hers is repaired or until it dies of old age.

I honestly don’t even know if it still works but I guess she’ll soon let me know.

The only productive or practical thing I did today was order some bits and pieces for my new class that I’ll be running in September.

We’ll be making something like this …



… using family mementos, jewellery, watches, medals, charms, chains, ribbons etc.

I have a couple of dead watches sitting in my jewellery box that have sentimental value and I don’t want to toss. I can pull them apart and repurpose them. Old jewellery from grandparents and my parents that I never wear but could look at every day on a piece of art like this. 

Old prize medallions from their sporting events, gifts from Dad to Mum, silly birthday buttons, tiny compacts, hairpins. So many little trinkets that I’ve never wanted to part with but just take up space in draws and boxes.

I’m excited about the possibilities and a few of the girls in my usual art class were discussing all the little mementos they’ve kept over the years that could be repurposed like this too.

So I’ve ordered a few charms like elaborate metal keys, cogs, bees, dragonflies, peace signs and other symbols. I have containers full of old jewellery, beads, shells, chain, ribbons, crystals and more from my bracelet making days. I’ll donate all of that for the participants to use on their creations.

It’s going to be fun.

Adoring Husband brought me breakfast in bed this morning. I got up and made a tuna and avocado dip to eat with my fava bean crackers for lunch. Dinner was duck with spicy orange sauce and cauliflower, broccoli and carrot.

We watched the first episode of The Voice before heading back to bed.

Tomorrow I hope to be making that trip to Childers that I missed last week.


The weather forecast is for rain tomorrow! Let’s hope it’s correct!

Nite all.

No comments: