Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bad Moon Rising!

I wanted to capture a beautiful moon-rise this evening.

Yesterday, at 5.30pm, on the bus ride to the pub where we watched the football, we saw the moon low in the sky, large and beautiful and glowing against the darkening sky.

I decided then, that I would make my way to the beach the following night to watch it rise out of the watery horizon.

So, at 4.15pm today, I hopped on my trusty trike with my camera bag and tripod in the rear basket, and pedalled down to the beach.

I chose the beach at the mouth of the river which had the widest ocean horizon because I wasn't sure exactly where the moon was going to rise.

For over an hour I watched the horizon and waited for the telltale glow to begin peeking over the horizon.

While I waited, I photographed kids playing on the beach, men fishing, birds walking on the sand, dogs running along the water's edge and boats motoring into and out of the mouth of the river.

Waiting, waiting, waiting.

At 5.30pm when there was still no sign of the moon, I figured that it must be rising further around the beach and that I would have to go to a different beach tomorrow night and try again.

I began packing up my camera and folding my tripod.  As I went to put the tripod in the basket, I glanced up at the beach and there, to my amazement, was the shining glow of the moon's edge just about to peek over the horizon!

UGH!

As fast as I was able in the low dusk light, I reassembled my tripod, attached my camera and began taking photos as the beautiful golden orb slowly climbed into the sky.

It was difficult in the low light to get the settings correct in the short time it took for the moon to rise just high enough to be less than spectacular.

Pink sky just before sunset

The golden sky right on sunset

The beautiful golden moon rising over the watery horizon
I then had to pedal home in the dark.  The batteries are flat in my headlight on the trike, so it was a little tricky maneuvering the trike over the rough gravel road until I found the footpath to follow.

I think it was worth it in the end, but it was a very bad moon waiting til I was half packed before making itself seen ... which reminds me of the that song ... 'Bad Moon Rising'!

Nite all    

No comments: