Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

My First Kiss

Do you remember your first kiss?

My first kiss was in 1971, when I was not yet 12 yrs old and with a boy named Terry Drew who attended my school - Sunnybank State School in Brisbane.

Having spent about five years travelling around Australia in a caravan, my family and I finished our travels at Seven Trees Caravan Park in Sunnybank and I think by this time, we had been there for about a year.

I can't remember what time of year it was, but my Dad got a new job in Perth, so we had to sell the caravan and move to Western Australia.

My boyfriend at the time was Terry Drew.  It was one of those relationships where you never spend time together, but send notes via friends that read "Do you love me? Yes or No?" (circle your answer).

We girls would sit at the edge of the sports oval and watch the boys play football in the lunch hour, all the while giggling and hiding our faces every time he looked in our direction.

On my last day at that school, which was a Friday (sports day), my friends and I were all sobbing knowing that we would probably never see each other again.  There were goodbye presents and cards.

The teachers were very understanding and there was not a lot of sports played that afternoon.

Near the end of the day, I received a note from Terry, passed on by one of Terry's mates, which read "Can I kiss you goodbye this afternoon?"

You can imagine the mixture of fear, terror and excitement that I felt!  Of course, I replied "Yes" and it was arranged, with notes, for us to meet beside the girls toilets after the last school bell.

The thought of kissing a boy was terrifying for me, so I had to use every ounce of courage that I could muster to make the long walk to the girl's toilets.

I don't know how I did it.  I think it was because I didn't want to look like a coward in front of my friends, who, along with Terry's friends, were standing some distance away waiting to see some action.

So I walked around the corner to find Terry standing there waiting for me already.  My heart leapt into my throat and as I looked at him and choked a "Hi", he leaned forward with tightly puckered lips and planted a quick hard kiss on my unprepared mouth!

He turned and ran so fast that he was gone in less than a blink of an eye!

THAT was my first kiss with a boy.  I can picture it as clearly as if it just happened and as pathetic as the kiss was, I will never forget it or the name of the boy it was with.

The most embarrassing part of the whole experience was that the commencement of my Dad's job was postponed by a week and I actually had to return to the school the following Monday.

There was absolutely no interaction between Terry and I that week and not a tear was cried by anybody the next Friday when I left for the final time - because I don't think anybody really believed that I was going anywhere!

I wonder where Terry Drew is now.  If you're out there Terry .. thanks for my first kiss :o)

No comments: