Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Congratulations to Adoring Husband (and all you other Blues supporters)

State of Origin football - game two - was played tonight.

Adoring Husband and I got all dressed up in our supporter's colours and went to the pub where we met up with eight of our friends, ordered pizza and watched the game in the main bar.

Unfortunately, the NSW Blues team won the game and my team lost.  So now, it's one game all and the decider will be played in three week's time, on 5th July.

It was a great night and mostly it was a happy and fun crowd but there is always one, who is a bad sport and tries to stir up trouble.

So ...

Thumbs down to the Queensland Maroon's supporter who mouthed off in a very 'unsportsman' - like manner at the end of the game and tried unsuccessfully to spoil the Blue's supporters moment of exhilaration!

Thumbs up to all of the Blues supporters, who ignored his arrogant, rude rantings and didn't take the bait or try to fight him!

Every year I enjoy being at our 'local' for State of Origin.  Steve, the publican, is a cool guy (even if he is a Blue's supporter) and always puts on a fun night.

There are raffles and then finger food at half time and pick the score.  Most people dress up in their favourite team's paraphernalia.  There are flags and posters and blow-up footballs hanging from the bar.

It's one of the great things about Queensland.  Everybody gets involved.  Shops fly their favourite colours in the form of streamers, balloons and flags.  People decorate their houses.

Adoring Husband and I each have a large flag flying at the front of our house.  Blue on the left, maroon on the right.

When we lived in Sydney, there certainly wasn't the same enthusiasm for State of Origin down there and it was difficult to find a pub or a club that provided any entertainment for the night, so we are really enjoying the positive energy of Origin time here in Queensland.

So, it's all over for another three weeks.  Congratulations to Adoring Husband and all the other blue's supporters, including Number One Son, Bubbles and Knight in Shining Armor.

I hope that on the 5th of July, you will all be congratulating me and Queenslanders will be celebrating six years in a row of winning!!

Nite all!

No comments: