Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Rained out again!

The alarm woke me at 5am this morning.

I reluctantly climbed out of bed and gazed out the window into the darkness trying to determine whether there had been any rain during the night, but it was still pitch black outside.

I looked at the sky trying to see some stars but there was not a twinkle to be found up in the blackness.

I put my woolly slippers on and made my way out the back door into the darkness to stand in the back yard and feel the air.

It was mild.  No rain.  No wind.  No stars.

So I made an executive decision.  Get ready for the markets.

Knowing the forecast was for cold weather, I found some warm clothes and some knitted boots and for the first time in three years, dressed for Winter!

I packed the basket of my trike with all of my goods for the stall and sent a text to Aussie H to let her know that I was going to attempt the markets if she wanted to join me at 6.20am.

As daylight struggled to find it's way through the heavy clouds, and just as I was going to leave, a light shower passed over my house.

There was one dark cloud and then the clouds coming behind it looked light and not the slightest bit menacing or threatening.  I waited for the rain to stop and then pedalled off on my trike.

As I arrived at the markets, it began to rain, ever so lightly.  

All of us setting up outside stalls, looked at each other wondering who would fold first.  All of us, very slowly, continued to set up.  As we did so, the rain got heavier until there was a light but steady rain falling.

A couple of stall holders began to pack up in preparation to leave, while I stopped and sat down to watch the rain and try to predict how this weather would pan out.

Adoring Husband arrived with my take-away coffee, so we sat down to enjoy it as Suzy, the border collie, arrived with her owner and Aussie H arrived on her trike.

We all sat around discussing the weather and the markets for about twenty minutes, when I decided to pack up and go home.

The rain got steadily heavier, so Adoring Husband packed most of my goods into the car and I threw a rain poncho on over my clothes and pedalled home with Aussie H.

As soon as I arrived home and took my wet poncho off, I changed into my warm slippers and wrapped my big white fluffy dressing gown around me, plonked myself on the couch and prepared to spend the day watching more of the 'Friends' dvds.

We are up to the final show in Series Three!

The party tonight turned into a very quiet affair.  Luckily, it was held in the local hall, so the rain wasn't an issue but most of us were reluctant to go out in the rain tonight to attend the party.

Lots of good food, good friends and family who had travelled a long way to be there.  Balloons, kids, cake ... what more do you need for a good family party?

Unfortunately Adoring Husband has been ill with chest problems of late, so being out in the damp weather, irritated that problem and we returned home a bit earlier than originally planned.

So here I am, exactly as I was this morning after being rained out of the markets, wearing my slippers and dressing gown and lazing on the couch.

No comments: