Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Love Doing Nothing

My favourite thing in the world is to do absolutely nothing.

When somebody asks me what I've been up to, the answer is generally 'nothing'!  And sometimes I feel bad, like I SHOULD have been doing something more interesting.  But really, I prefer to do nothing.

Instead of sweeping the floors, I would rather lie in my hammock in the Winter sunshine.

I prefer to sit on the couch looking at photos on my laptop, than working in the garden.

Sitting on the park bench seat by the river watching the comings and goings is my choice over hanging out the washing.

When I go away on holidays, I like to spend an afternoon in the motel room instead of taking a hike or a guided tour.

Ordering take-away and eating in is a much easier option for me, than dressing up and going to a restaurant.

If Adoring Husband travels to Sydney to visit his Mum for a few days, I like to spend my time locked away in my lounge room watching movies alone and eating junk food.

Adoring Husband, on the other hand, likes to DO everything and anything.  He has so much energy.  When he chooses to do something, he puts his whole heart and soul into it.

At home, there is always something to be done ... no time to be sitting down!  A few hours in the garden to clear the weeds, prune the fruit trees, clean the chook pen, mow the lawn, cut the edges, water the pot plants and wash the car.

When we're on holidays, he has to try a different restaurant every night, take the guided tour, find the closest markets, trek through the rainforest, go to the cheese factory, find the art gallery, visit the alpaca farm, jump on the steam train, experience the theme park and learn all the local history.

I'm exhausted just writing the words!

He uses up so much energy that when he sits down, he falls asleep in less than ten minutes!

Between the pair of us, it works out quite well.  He forces me to do more exciting things when we are on holidays and I force him to sit down and relax at home sometimes.  We balance each other out.

Sometimes, I need to direct his energy towards something meaningful and sometimes he has to give me the motivation and energy to do something more important.

It's his energy that keeps our friendships with others alive.  I choose a lot of friends with a high energy level because they get me moving and stop me from stagnating at home.

A regular exercise routine with friends keeps me motivated to continue with it every week.  A regular weekly social gathering pushes me to dress up and turn up.

If it was purely up to me ... I would love to do absolutely nothing!

Another fiery one ... tonight's sunset taken from my front garden.

No comments: