Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Old Treasures

A few days ago at the Seat of Knowledge, The Kids,  (he's 82 and she's 78) asked me if I wanted to see a photo of them as teenagers.

If my memory serves me correctly, their next wedding anniversary will be their 60th.

I was eager to see a photo of them in their youth, so I urged them to bring the photo with them one morning for me to look at.

This morning was the morning.

He reached into his top pocket and pulled out a small photo, about the size of a mobile phone.

It was black and white, of course.

They were standing in front of a corrugated iron shed, all dressed up ready to go to some social event - they don't remember where they were going at the time.

He was wearing a dark, double breasted suit with a starched, white, collared shirt, a tie, and clean, shiny black shoes.

His hair was slicked back with a quiff ...


For you young people reading this, the above is an example of the 'quiff' hairstyle.

'She' was wearing a cream dress similar to this style but with small sleeves ...


Her hair was long and dark but she wore it in an up-style similar to this ...


She also wore shiny black shoes with a small heel.

They stood close beside each other with their hands by their side, and she had her little finger entwined in his.

He was 22 and she was 18.  So young.

Sixty years ago!  That's an eternity! Here they are, still together and living less than 100 kms from where they were born and bred.  Still happy and taking care of each other.

I sat staring at the photo for a long time trying to imagine how they were feeling, what they were thinking.

Trying to imagine their 60 yrs of life together and how they had grown from a young, happy, innocent couple to the wise, confident, loving couple that they are today.  

Trying to imagine the joys and woes that they had struggled through together.

Trying to imagine the hardships of living in the bush during an era with few of the comforts that we enjoy today.

Trying to imagine the memories that they must have.  Always a story to tell.

Having to keep up with the technological advances that happened so rapidly during their era, must have been daunting.

So much life experience between them.

I could easily have stared at their photo for much longer, but thought it might seem a bit strange to them, so I grudgingly returned the photo to him.

All of the boys from The Seat of Knowledge have shown me photos of themselves and their wives when they were much younger, mostly their early twenties.  They always seemed to stand proud and tall back then.

They often tell stories from their childhood and their youth.  Mostly funny stories.  I love to listen to them.  Sometimes they unknowingly repeat stories, but it doesn't matter to me.

My boys are oldies but goodies and so are their stories.

Perhaps I should start writing down their stories and one day create a book entitled 'Old Treasures'!

I could scan all of their photos so that I could record them in the book.

Imagine what a priceless treasure that book would be to their families.

Perhaps that is something that I can look at more seriously after the Art Exhibit next year.  A new goal for 2013.

Nite all.

No comments: