Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, January 13, 2012

Goblins and Fairies

What a pleasant surprise to have Adoring Husband turn up at the Seat of Knowledge this morning on his bicycle and wearing his camera backpack on his back!

I took him to the tree where the Pacific Baza chick sits waiting for food from his mother.  Unfortunately, feeding time was over, but Adoring Husband got a couple of photographs, even though the chick was not in the best position for good shots.

Then we pedalled across town to the dirt track that leads to where the Fairy Wrens and other interesting birds frolick.

I stood in the bush for over an hour with my long lens while little Fairy Wrens fluttered back and forth teasing me by not being still for longer than a few seconds at a time.

Too fast and too far away!

Still too fast and too far away.
There was a White Throated Tree Creeper.  A bird that I've never seen before and I am intrigued by his strange looking feet that help him climb vertical tree trunks.

White Throated Tree Creeper.
And then there were these guys.  They are about as big as my thumb.

Red-backed Fairy Wren
These are the ones that I want to capture more than any other bird, at this moment in time.  That may change in the future, but right now, I so want the perfect shot of the Red-backed Fairy Wren.

This will require setting myself up in the bush, on my little folding stool, coated in insect spray,  being very very still and waiting for the birds to come to me.  I am determined!


So the little birds in the bush are almost as elusive as goblins and fairies (Yes!  Of course I believe in goblins and fairies!) but while I will leave goblins and fairies alone to be magical, I will not leave the little birds alone!

I might need a bit of luck ... so ... wish me luck!

Tomorrow, I have decided to NOT set up my stall at the local market, and instead will spend the morning with Vegan Chickie and Chicklet.  I am excited!

Nite all.

No comments: