Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Up Before the Sun!

I set my alarm for 5am in the hopes of catching a magnificent sunrise and also spotting the magnificent White Breasted Sea Eagle out at Serenia Beach.

It was difficult, but I dragged myself out of bed, threw some clothes on, collected my camera gear and climbed into the car with Adoring Husband.

We drove up the street and around the corner, when I remembered the fish (a token gift for the eagle) was still in the fridge in the garage.  So Adoring Husband did a quick U-turn and we returned to collect the fish.

Adoring Husband then dropped me off at Serenia Beach and drove to work.

Unfortunately, some dark cloud scuttled across the sky to spoil what could have been close to a magnificent sunrise.  Through tiny little gaps in the cloud there was evidence of a bright pink and orange morning sky behind the dark cloud, but never enough to capture in a photograph.

A touch over-exposed where the sun was rising, but I like the birds and the sun's reflection on the wet sand.
I took a couple of shots, but there was nothing to brag about it.

I also wandered up and down the beach looking for the eagle.  Every time I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye, I would excitedly scan the sky, only to find that it was an ibis, a seagull, a tern or a heron - all of which I already have numerous photos.

So after almost an hour, I climbed back into the car with Adoring Husband and headed home.

He told me that the eagle had flown low beside the car near the Bowls Club when he was on his way to pick me up **rolls eyes**.  Why doesn't that surprise me?

We did a quick detour through the new estate and I spotted a lone kangaroo, so I got Adoring Husband to stop the car and I climbed out to try for a shot.

The kangaroo took one look at me and began bounding straight towards me!  So I lifted the camera and pressed my finger to the shutter button taking about a dozen quick shots.


The kangaroo stopped about half way and looked at me again, then continued to hop towards me!  I thought he was coming to attack me, but then at the last minute he did an 'exit, stage right' and disappeared.

I've never seen a kangaroo do that before!

When we arrived home, I had a quick shower, changed my clothes and jumped on my trike to follow my usual morning ritual.

Later, when I was thinking of returning home, I looked up and saw six pelicans flying high in the sky.

I knew that the tide was high and that they would be struggling to find any clear beach to land on, so I turned my trike around and began to follow them.

They were heading toward the Lions Park, but soon, as I pedalled along the path, the trees blocked my view of them, so I couldn't tell if they were still flying in the same direction.

I got to the end of the park, where the beach joins it and I could not see hide nor hair of the pelicans!

I sat on a bench seat with camera in hand and waited, searching and scanning the sky, waiting for them to reappear.

No such luck.

No birds.

I have to say that it is quite difficult to be focussed on photography at the moment.

Down South, the town where I lived before moving to Sydney to be with Adoring Husband, is going through some terrible unprecedented floods and have been suffering for four days thus far.

Friends have been evacuated from their homes and flood waters are still rising and moving unpredictably.

Today, another 600 people were evacuated.  It's a waiting game for them and they don't know how much damage is waiting for them when they finally get to return home.

Some had been out and when they tried to return home, were refused entry into the town.  They had to leave pets behind, were unable to move valuables to higher ground and were unable to rescue important documents.

Some have been evacuated a second time from the house that they sought refuge!

The town's people have come together as a community and filled sand bags, building walls to protect each other's properties, offered beds, rooms and accommodation to the evacuees,  fed and clothed strangers and really formed bonds with each other through this disaster.

Disasters seem to bring out the best in most people.

However, the point is that I am surprised by how much I am worrying about it.

Nobody, me especially,  ever believed that the town could flood, and this has been caused by a collapse of infrastructure 100 kms away!  

It's shocking and heart breaking.

Thankfully, up to this point, there have been no fatalities or injuries.  There were warnings and emergency services were able to evacuate with time to spare.

It is still a horrible experience and a trauma from which the people will have to recover.

It makes me feel sick and I can't stop thinking about it.  I know it's just 'stuff' but I feel like this is my family and it hurts me that they are hurting.

I hope that it will all be over soon and the people can return to their homes, start the clean up and get back to normal.

Adoring Husband and I are so lucky to have each other and the lives that we share in the place that we live.  I try not to take it for granted and I feel like the luckiest person alive!

One more thing ... and I've waited to mention it til I knew that all was good ... but my ex-father-in-law has been ill, and was hospitalised, but has now returned home and is doing well.

So, to The Rev, welcome home and continue to regain your health and strength.  You are loved my many - friends AND family and we are all relieved that you are on the mend :o)

... and Grannymus YOU take care of YOU too!

Nite all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Rev is back in hospital on the
heart monitor before a colonoscopy
today. After that he will be back on the ward on the heart monitor
again. Thanks for thinking of us
and wishing us well. lots of love
to you both, grannymus