Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Chicklet for Lunch

Lunch is always a very casual affair on family day.

Between us, there are so many different dietary requirements, that it's just easier to provide something similar to a smorgasbord.

The table covered with lots of different salad fruits and vegetables, beans, cheese, meats, chutneys and relishes with various types of bread.

Every now and then, I'll make a special vegan dish or dessert.  Sometimes a dessert especially for Vegan Chickie.  Mostly, it's standard fare.

... except when BGWLBH gets involved!

"You be my assistant" she states confidently.

Translation: "You be mandrake the magician, have the ability to do 3 things at once while every 30 seconds I will tell you which kitchen utensils and ingredients I need and we will use every kitchen gadget known to mankind in the process."

A large platter of various dips (all home-made) with oven-crispy gluten free bread and gluten free crackers.

Moroccan Hummus
Carrot, Orange, Cumin, Poppy Seed and Sesame Seed dip
Chickpea, Ricotta and Mint dip
Beetroot and Yoghurt dip
Pineapple, Cream Cheese and Chilli dip

A fresh fruit punch with freshly juiced apples, oranges, mandarins, lemons, passionfruit and ginger beer.

A big bowl of roasted sweet potato, potato, cauliflower and walnuts.  A smaller bowl of roasted tomatoes and onions (these were things I had planned for myseld anyway)

On top of all that - mashed avocado, grated carrot, cucumber, tomato, pasta salad, mushrooms, cheese slices, capsicum strips, roast chicken (which we cooked first thing this morning) and ham.

All of this with bread rolls and a french stick fresh from the bakery.

I think we actually worked pretty well as a team.  BGWLBH had specific instructions and directions and orders.  We had everything prepared and all the cleaning up done with about twenty minutes to spare - so we sat back and relaxed until they arrived.

I would have made a "S%@t I forgot to make the pavlova" pavlova for Vegan Chickie, but I bought all the meringues from the bakery on Sunday and they haven't restocked the shelves yet!  Next time :D

I got a few nice shots of Chicklet today.





Tomorrow, Adoring Husband and I are off to Brisbane to check out the Caravan and Camping Expo. Vegan Chickie very conveniently won two tickets so we have free entry!  Thank you my lovely daughter!

I'm hoping we will get to have a quick visit with The Nikonian on the way home too.

I had a lovely Chicklet family lunch today, but I gotta be up before the sparrows in the morning, so I'd best hit the hay.

Nite all.

No comments: