Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Little Birthday Joy

Boy!  Did it bucket down last night!  We had about 150ml of rain overnight.

It was still raining when I woke up this morning, so no trike ride and no coffee from the bakery ... I really don't like starting my Sundays without my morning coffee!

Knowing that we had to be at a birthday barbecue at 11.30am, we had a quiet morning at home - me in my usual place in front of the laptop playing with some photos taken yesterday.

Also, for my 104 group in facebook, I set a mini challenge over the weekend with the theme 'Eyes' and SO many photos had been posted, it took a while to go through them and comment.

The group had been a bit quiet and it seemed that motivation was quite low, so I thought we all needed  something different to photograph, that was not too difficult and was accessible to everybody.

I'm pleased to say that the group responded with enthusiasm and have been posting great photos all weekend!

At 11am, I looked at the invitation to this 60th birthday party and found the letters 'BYO'.  I asked Adoring Husband "Does this mean 'bring your own grog' or 'bring your own everything'?"

He decided to phone them to verify.

The verification was this "Just bring your own grog, but your Adoring Wife said she would make a pavlova for dessert".

AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

On Wednesday night (State of Origin night) at the pub, the Kiwi Queen asked me if I would make one of my famous pavlovas for her party, and I, in a clean and sober state, with great enthusiasm, agreed to do so...

... and then promptly forgot.

As you know, a pavlova is not something that you can throw together in thirty minutes.

I was horrified.  I felt sick.  I walked around the house cursing myself.  Wracking my brain trying to think of something, ANYTHING, that I could quickly put together as a dessert to feed thirty people.

"Take me to Foodworks!" I demanded of Adoring Husband.  Foodworks is the only supermarket in a 20km radius that sells groceries.

"It's too late now" he replied "Just don't worry about it".

"Don't tell me not to worry about it!" I snapped "I HAVE to do something!"

So off we drove to our local shops.

I walked into Foodworks, hoping agains hope that they sold pre-made pavlovas .. but alas it was not to be.

Then I had a brain-wave!

Our local bakery sells big fat worm shaped meringues.  I rushed in there and bought six of them.  Then went back into Foodworks and bought grapes, kiwi fruit, banana, peaches and 600ml of cream.

Adoring Husband dropped me at home while he went to the drive-thru to get some beer for the party.

I rushed inside and took my big glass rectangular baking dish out.  Crushed and crumbled the meringue into the bottom.  Whipped the cream and poured it over the top.  BGWLBH helped me quickly chop up the fruit and added passionfruit and mandarin pieces that we already had at home.

This was the result ...


I called it my "S&@t I forgot to make the pavlova" pavlova.

When I left the party, there was only one small corner of it left in the dish!  I swear to God, I do my best work under pressure!

It was a really lovely party.  A couple of the guys brought their guitars and we had sing-alongs plus Madam Butterfly, who is a professional singer, brought her gear too and set up in the corner.  She sang her usual sweet melodies for the first half of the party.

The food was good (especially the pav lol) and everyone was in a happy frame of mind.  There was lots of catching up to do and I really enjoyed myself.  Even took a few happy snaps.

The Birthday Girl
The sparkling Woman of Many Talents
We were home by 5pm and I whipped up a chicken stir-fry for dinner.

Woman of Many Talents and I are hoping to play golf in the morning, but after 150ml of rain, we might have to turn around and come home!  We can but try!

So after a little birthday joy, I think I can hear my pillow calling my name.

Nite all.


No comments: