Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, June 9, 2012

To Market To Market

It was raining as I lay my head upon my pillow last night, so I fell asleep expecting to NOT set up my stall at the markets this morning.

However, even though it was overcast and cold, the rain had stopped by this morning and BGWLBH convinced me to 'have a crack' at the markets.

We began setting up a bit later than usual and BGWLBH used one third of the table for her hand knitted scarves and I had the remaining space for my bracelets, earrings and necklaces.

The SES had set up their breakfast barbecue right beside us, so we expected to get some extra passing traffic and we hoped that would provide some sales.

The weather had obviously frightened some of the regular stall holders away because there were about ten less stalls than usual.  Inside the hall was still full, but outside, the stalls were scattered and sparse.

It was pretty quiet until about 9.30am when people began strolling through the grounds and browsing.

Some locals came by and stopped for a brief chat and a few holiday-makers stopped to look as well, but four hours later, neither of us had sold a thing.

The dark clouds were looming and three black cockatoos flew above us.

The old boys at the Seat of Knowledge had recently told BGWLBH that if you see black cockatoos, it means it's going to rain, so when she saw them flying above us, she gasped and pleaded her case of packing up before the now guaranteed rains came!

We quickly packed everything into the car and then drove via Aussie Hilda's place, where she was having a massive garage sale.  She had more for sale in her driveway and garage, than the whole of the markets at the Community Hall!!

She also had quite a few customers hanging around so we didn't stay long.  She was giving cheek and spinning yarns to her fresh new audience, so we bid our farewells and headed home.

After discussions about a short trip or two that we can make over the next few days, to show BGWLBH some more of our area before she heads home, I did some research online and as long as the weather holds up, we'll be driving to Woodgate and Walker's Point in the next couple of days.

We have a few National Parks in the surrounding area, but unfortunately, the recent wet weather makes them impossible to access, so they have been crossed off the list.

Adoring Husband had a rare afternoon at the pub with his mates, so I took the opportunity to have some quiet time on the couch and play with some old photos, while watching the old movie "Paint Your Wagon".

I have a lot of photos of Kites and Eagles to share with you tonight.








They were all taken on the day that we went fishing.  There must have been a lot of food washed up on the beach, or tossed out by the fishermen from the boat ramp, because the beach was busy with birds of prey.

I didn't have to set up any shots.

Now that I have taken so many shots without setting anything up, I think it's more satisfying to get natural shots, and I can't imagine setting up any shots again in the future - but I never say 'never' lol.

A good Wedge Tailed Eagle shot would be a bit of a dream come true for me.

An American Bald Eagle - well they just take my breath away every time I see footage or a photo of them.  An amazingly beautiful bird.  I wonder if I will ever have the opportunity to get a natural shot of a Bald Eagle?

I am doing the June Photo a Day challenge and just to finish off the theme of birds in this post, here is my photo for yesterday ... themed "6 o'clock".




The markets may have been a financial disappointment, but we still had some fun - even though we had to listen to a young busker sing the same three songs over and over and over - one of them very badly.

Much to BGWLBH's disgust, at the end of the day, he made more money than us!!

Nite all :o)

No comments: