Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Fam fun and movies

It's been quite a full day today.

I actually set my alarm so that I could get up early enough to capture a possible pretty sunrise, but there was not a cloud in the sky, so after checking the sky through the bathroom window, I climbed back into my warm bed and enjoyed another forty five minutes snuggled between my flannelette sheets.

So it started in the usual way down at the Seat of Knowledge.  A beautiful sunny day.  A little windy and a little cool, but the sky was blue and so was the water as the tide was on it's way out.

From there, I met the girls for coffee after they returned from aqua-aerobics.

It was around this time, for some reason, I began to feel a bit sad.  I have no idea what triggered it and even though I tried, I couldn't pull myself out it.

I did some grocery shopping for lunch.  I bought all the ingredients for the 'S&@t, I forgot the pavlova' pavlova, which Vegan Chickie had requested the previous week, but the bakery was out of meringue back then, so I had to wait til today to fulfil her request.

BGWLBH did lots of preparation for lunch today.  She chopped and sliced and peeled and mashed and shredded til everything was prepared and sealed in containers ready to load onto the outdoor table.

AT the same time I was whipping and blending and crushing and roasting and baking.

The family surprised me and arrived a bit earlier than I expected!

We had a lovely time out in the garden and Chicklet found almost all of my garden ornament frogs.  Adoring Husband recruited the Bare-chested Chef's assistance to put wire netting up along the fence.  Then he planted the new passionfruit vine against it.

We were all afraid when Adoring Husband wheeled out the heavy machinery, but when the Bare-chested Chef loudly uttered the word "ouch", we decided that we couldn't stay outside a minute longer!

After the family said their goodbyes, BGWLBH, Adoring Husband and I freshened up and drove into The Bay to the movies.

BGWLBH saw 'Prometheus' and Adoring Husband and I saw the Tim Burton movie, 'Dark Shadows', which starred Johnny Depp.

BGWLBH was the only female in her cinema with ten solo men watching her movie, while Adoring Husband and I had our entire cinema to ourselves!

Ours was one of the worst movies that I have ever seen.  Very cheesy.  But I LOVED it anyway.  I adore Johnny Depp.  I could even see it becoming a cult movie in the years to come.  Great old 70s music and excellent costumes.

By the time we arrived home and began preparing dinner, I could feel my sadness dissipating ... finally.  It took such a long time to lift.  There were times during the day, when it almost engulfed me and times when I could push it to the side and pretend that everything was ok.

I wish that looming sadness would leave me alone on family lunch days.  I want to be free on those days to enjoy each moment.

Anyway, tomorrow morning I am going to wake up fresh as a daisy and happy as Larry!  Just watch me!

Nite all.  

No comments: