Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

QUEENSLANDER!!

Sorry :o)  State of Origin time again :o)

The game is just about to begin and I hope to finish this post before the game is over - though I must say that State of Origin games go so quickly, they are usually over before you know it!

It's all that build up and excitement and the game is played at a much faster pace than a regular weekly game.

Let me tell you about my morning ... yes, you guessed it ... it started at the Seat of Knowledge, though two of my boys were missing today.

One of them began chemotherapy today.

The Little Gnome didn't turn up, but at least somebody saw him driving his car, so we know he is safe and well!

It was very unfortunate, because BGWLBH wanted a photo with the boys this morning.  She only has two more mornings at the Seat of Knowledge before she goes home.

Anyway, after we left there, we went for a walk to the big lake behind the new housing estate.

What began as a leisurely stroll around the path that surrounds the lake, ended up being a two hour trek through, for me, unseen territory!

BGWLBH decided to take a different route.  She walked through some scrub, following the sound of birds singing, and discovered a sandy road.

There were lots of Honey Eaters about making the most noise, but I also spotted some Striated Pardalotes and was lucky enough to get a quick snap.

Striated Pardalote
It was impossible to ride the trike on this road so it meant that I had to pull it behind me, which was a bit tricky on my arm and my back.  BGWLBH took the trike for a while when I looked like my arm was about to drop off!

We started out on a sandy road track, but were eventually forced to turn back when we came to a flooded section that was just too deep to walk through OR wheel the trike through.

We watched a lady walking in the distance with two dogs and she took a side track, so we decided to follow that track to see where it led to and thought we might catch up to the woman.

The track started quite wide but the further we walked, the narrower it got and the terrain changed significantly too!  Suddenly we were walking through what looked like rain forest with lots of fern trees and vines.  It was much greener than the usual scrub around my town.

Path to Nowhere
We walked and we walked until we came across another wide path with a line of power poles that we could have followed, but not too far ahead, there was another flooded area that we couldn't get through.

In the other direction, the path kind of disappeared and became scrub.  If I hadn't had my trike, we might have attempted walking in that direction.

So we retraced our steps a short way to where there was a fork in the path.  BGWLBH followed it a short way, but it ended quite abruptly too, so we had no choice but to go right back to the original road.

All the while we were making up stories about serial killers watching our every move and the woman with the dogs being part of their evil 'luring' plan!

We also spent some time wondering if my phone had enough charge left to call for help if we seriously got lost!

Eventually, BGWLBH's stomach made the decision for us, to find our way home.  She was starving!!

After a brief stop to feed the ducks the stale bread that we had saved for them (at least we would have had food if we'd got lost on our trek!)
One of the ugliest birds that nature has to offer - Ibis.
We arrived home at about 11am and I cooked up a big feed of bacon, eggs, tomato and toast to replace all of the energy that we had used up on our trek!

Tomorrow, we are thinking about driving to Maryborough for their markets.

Right now, the second half of the State of Origin match is about to start, so I am off to watch it.

GO QUEENSLAND!!

Nite all.

No comments: