Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A La Vampire

When time doesn't move fast enough and you need to take your mind off things, the result can be ...


... after all, Halloween is just around the corner!

This reminds me of a horrible experience that I had in Griffith once.

Back in the 90s when I was still a smoker,  I smoked outside the house, and one night around midnight, I was sitting on the step outside, puffing away,  when I saw a girl running down the middle of the main highway that went past my place and out of town.

I watched her running and then suddenly she stopped and lay down in the middle of the road, on the centre white line.

I slowly walked toward her, hoping that, she would get up and keep moving and hoping that a car would not come along and run her over before my very eyes.

It seemed to take forever to reach her, and when I did, I stood over her and looked at her face.  Her eyes were closed and she wasn't moving.  I said "Hey are you ok?"

With that, her eyes suddenly snapped open and they looked just like my eyes in that photo above. The were bright red in the glow of the street light.

I swear my heart skipped a beat.

She simply said "I'm tired.  I need to rest."

It took a little while, but I finally convinced her that the middle of the road wasn't the place to rest.  I helped her off the road and she lay down on the footpath on the grass.

Soon a taxi came by and I flagged it down and helped her into the back seat.  I knew the driver and he promised that if he could get her address out of her, he'd take her home or if not, he'd take her to the hospital because she appeared to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

I saw him a few days later and he informed me that he had taken her home and that she didn't live very far from me.

My brain replayed the moment that she snapped her glowing red eyes open, over and over, during the weeks that followed that incident.  It was like watching replays of a horror movie.

Anyway, I never saw her again, but she certainly left her memory indelibly printed on my brain!

Nite all.

No comments: