Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, March 4, 2013

Day 128 in a Year of my Life

In summary ...

A Youi (our insurance company) approved builder came to inspect our house 4 days after the tornado hit us.  He also sent in a painter, a plasterer, an electrician, a roofer etc to calculate their costs.

He told us that he could commence work within a week if the insurance company approved the repairs.

Five weeks later, there is still no approval for him to commence work.  They have, apparently, asked for other quotes and they also sent the Structural Engineer in late, to do the scope of works, which the builders are supposed to work out their quote from.

Just to rub salt into the wound, today we received this in the mail from Youi ...


So I posted this photo, along with a brief history, firstly onto my facebook page, then onto Youi's facebook page.

My friends and family then began to share this photo with their friends and families on facebook. Then my family posted it onto Twitter and the plan is to make it go viral so that something gets done faster.

We still have no connected power - just two extension leads running from the power box outside which runs our fridge and freezer, the tv, a fan, a lamp and my computer.

We switch things around when we need to do washing, or vacuum the floor, or run the portable camp shower that provides warm water (our solar hot water system doesn't heat water after endless days of cloud and rain).

It's kind of like 5 star camping - but I'm so sick of food cooked on the barbecue.

As lucky as we are, that we can still live in our house, at minimum standards - the insurance company really should have moved things along by now.

I know that there are hundreds, if not thousands of people out there who require repairs after cyclones, tornadoes, floods etc., BUT our builder was available to start a month ago - why hasn't it been approved???

Wouldn't it be nice if the 'viral' plan worked and we got a phone call tomorrow telling us to go ahead with the repairs?

Today I am grateful for friends and family who care enough to spread the word and who hope to make a difference.

In particular, I am grateful to Vegan Chickie who got the ball rolling along a number of different Social Media networks, and I'm also grateful that Number One Son and Bubbles were quick to add their comments on the Youi facebook page and also shared the photo on their own pages.

Fingers crossed that something comes of it!

Nite all.

No comments: