Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, October 14, 2013

Day 350 in a Year of my Life

Meet Lolly ...


Isn't she adorable?  A Tawny Frogmouth chick, approximately 3 days old, that I found on the ground under a nest that was VERY high in the tree.

There was no safe place to put her nearby, so I picked her up and put her inside a glove that I had in my trike basket and brought her home.

I got online straight away and tried to contact The Nikonian, who I know has had experience caring for Tawnies in the past and I also googled for as much information as I could find.

Adoring Husband was in The Bay, and just happened to phone me, so I asked him to stop at the Vet to get some advice and some special food, which he did.

I kept Lolly in the glove, under a warm lamp and I fed her the special food, which she gobbled up quite happily.

You all know how much I love Tawnies.

I was so excited to be rescuing and saving a Tawny chick.  I knew that I'd probably not get much sleep, having to feed her every hour, but that didn't bother me.

She was making little chirping noises and seemed to be doing very well.

Unfortunately, she lasted just seven hours.  She got weak and seemed to go downhill very fast.

It's possible that she had internal injuries from the fall out of the nest.

She may have been tossed out of the nest because she had something wrong with her.

She may have been out of the nest for much longer than I thought and was already too weak to recover.

Who knows.

I do know that I did my best.  I have no regrets.  It was a great experience and I learnt a lot about Tawnies that I didn't already know.

I found two new nests today, so now I have three to watch ... all of them have chicks in them already, so hopefully, I'll get some good shots in the coming weeks.

So today, I'm grateful for the experience of attempting to save a Tawny Frogmouth chick.  She was so beautiful and soft and fluffy and provided me with the cutest photo for my macro challenge lol.  Really, ya gotta look on the bright side :)

Nite all.

1 comment:

❦❧Judi❦❧ said...

Ohhhh! That's so sad but it is reality. I'm trying to save an orphaned calf at the moment and very morning I wake up and wonder if it made it through the night.
I, like you, don't know why it's mum abandoned it. I only know that our human mothering instincts kick in and we have to try and save it.
Xx Judi