Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

More Pain!

Just when the pain from the weekend's marathon effort had eased, I jarred my back and shoulder while playing with Chicklet today and I'm feeling a little the worst for wear tonight.

I don't want to wait any longer to mention the wedding shoot, because I'm already forgetting so much of it.

The Nikonian is an amazing photographer, a brilliant organiser and so generous with her knowledge, skills and expertise.

I can't begin to explain how much she has taught me.  She has a freakishly absorbent brain for technical and artistic details, which she happily shares with me and it's thanks to her critique and advice, that my photography has improved so quickly since I've known her.

I am useless with technical details, but she has a way of explaining, in plain English, so that my brain accepts more than it rejects.

On the weekend for the wedding, she worked so well under pressure.

We tried so hard to be organised, with lists of all that we wanted to achieve, but the Gods worked against us ... or should I say, the hairdressers and the make-up artists and people worked against us.

With so many people coming and going from the room, it was difficult to get the detail shots on our list - we did get them all, but it wasn't easy.

The hair and make-up began at approximately 9am and lasted for 5 hours!

We were left with very little time to spend with the girls prior to the wedding, to get those special shots.

Cutting it very fine, we had only 30 minutes with the boys, pre-wedding for their special shots.

Finally, we only had one hour to get all the group shots with the Bride, the groom and the wedding party ... and such a large area to cover at the resort.

We really were under pressure, especially in the 90 minutes prior to the ceremony and the 90 minutes straight after.

Taking all of that into consideration, the number of great photos that we took is pretty darned impressive and by the time we've finished editing them and are ready to pass them onto the bride and groom, I think they will be over the moon with the results.

I won't be sharing any more photos from the wedding, until we've finished editing and processing and have passed them on to the bride and groom.

After that, you'll get to see the results of the fabulous teamwork that The Nikonian and I had together.

I'll take this opportunity to thank The Nikonian for sharing with me the experience of a lifetime.  One that has given me a whole new respect for professional wedding photographers and also provided me with valuable new skills that can only be an asset to my future photography.

Your generosity and friendship is priceless.

Please feel free to call on me again if you need assistance - it can only get easier!  Surely!

I had a great weekend.  The families were lovely, warm and welcoming.  They were so appreciative of our efforts and I never once felt like an outsider.

It was a beautiful ceremony in beautiful surroundings and the speeches during the reception were a highlight of the evening for me.

We were utterly exhausted by the end of the day, but knew we'd done well.

So that was our weekend, but the work is not over yet - hundreds of photos to scour through and edit - a lot more hours involved.

I will never question a wedding photographer's value again.

It's like having a baby .. you can never fully understand, until you experience it yourself.

Now I'm off to sleep my pain away.

Nite all

No comments: