Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Top 3

As I was washing the dishes tonight, I could see through the window that the cloud formations were looking pretty special and that an amazing sunset was on the cards.

Before I knew it, the sky began to change colour, so I grabbed my camera and an extra lens, choosing not to carry my camera bag, because it's so heavy and I knew I had to move pretty fast so as not to miss the sunset completely.

I partly power walked and shuffled a jog to get across the road to the river bank as quickly as possible!

The tide was low and on the turn, so the water was still and smooth, almost like glass.

The clouds were rippling across the sky, just as water does when you throw a pebble into it's stillness, and the colour from the setting sun was moving across the ripples and filling the sky with pinks, reds, purples and orange.

All of this was reflecting beautifully onto the still water as a pelican glided toward me, it's reflection also glistening perfectly in the colour.

A flock of birds flew above me and silhouetted against the golden light of the setting sun, and that golden light shone onto a beautiful yacht rocking gently on the still water.

As my mind tried to figure out which direction to photograph first, I tried to check what my settings were on the camera, when it didn't respond to my button pushing.

I turned it off and then on again, realising suddenly that the battery was flat and my 2 spares were in my camera bag, which was on my bed at Vegan Chickie's house.

*insert sad face here*

I almost came home in a huff, when I realised that the very least I could do, was watch it and enjoy it's beauty .. which surprisingly, is a very difficult thing to do, when bitter disappointment is surging through your veins.

Just to rub salt in the wound, it turned out to be spectacular enough to earn a place in my top 3 sunsets of all time.

It didn't matter which direction I looked, the sky, the light, the view was breath taking and I could see at least half a dozen spectacular shots going to waste.

People were pointing their little cameras and capturing this beauty, while I stood on the wet sand, my camera swinging around my neck and the spare lens in my hand, unable to do a thing.  I did get some strange looks from a couple of people.

Hopefully, my visits in the future will be filled with more sunset opportunities, just as special, or more so ... my lesson learned, is always take the camera bag ... it is full of all the resources that I need, should anything like this ever happen again!

*sigh*

Nite all.

No comments: