Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Nice People Day

BGWLBH declared today "Nice People Day".

Country folk are the nicest and happiest people.

It all started at breakfast, when we stopped in Blayney for coffee.  We walked in the door of the cafe, to discover that it was an Indian Restaurant, which served bacon and eggs for breakfast (among other things), as well as coffee.

So we sat down at a table and were served by the happiest, friendliest Indian gentleman.  He took our order and was the only one there to make our coffee and cook our breakfast and serve other customers as they walked in the door.

He was very efficient and wasn't at all fazed.  The food was great.  The coffee was great.  The service was great.

If you're ever in Blayney, find your way to Sam's Cafe and Restaurant at 85 Adelaide Street, Blayney.  They even have their own website here.

I can't remember what order the towns are, so I'll just tell you what happened at them, not in any particular order.

We stopped at a little town called Wattle Flats, just north of Bathurst, where we found a little craft and art shop.

As I wandered through to a back verandah, one of the ladies asked me where we were from.  When I told her that BGWLBH was from Griffith, she very excitedly pointed at the room that we had just walked through and said that the lady in there was from Griffith!

So BGWLBH turned on her heels and walked back into the room to introduce herself.  The lady's name was Cunningham, and sitting at the table was another x-Griffith girl whose father once owned Donaldsons Mitre 10 in Griffith.


We had a lovely chat with these friendly people before continuing on our journey.

The next nice person was the service station attendant in Ryleston.  Super friendly.  He advised me that he had worked EVERY SINGLE DAY this year (it's only 5th January) and was looking forward to knocking off at 5.30pm ... and if the Government didn't stop moving the retirement age, he expected to be at the service station until he turned 90!

While we were travelling through the Hunter Valley, we wanted to take in the beautiful scenery, so our speed sat at around 80kmh the whole way.

We noticed a ute behind us, but he wasn't close, he sat back the legal distance and didn't seem bothered about overtaking us.

After a while, we stopped at a rest area to use the loos and have a short break.  BGWLBH went first while I tried to photograph some finches in the trees nearby, and when she returned, I went to the loo.

As I was returning, a man walked past me and commented about what a nice place this was and I agreed.  When I got back to the car, I noticed the familiar ute parked in front of us and BGWLBH then related the conversation she had just had with him.

He wasn't concerned about our speed, because he too was enjoying the scenery.  He named the tree that was in full bloom, that we had been admiring along the drive and had given BGWLBH information about the drive ahead of us.

Much further up the road, where we knew he was turning off in a different direction, he waved as we went the opposite way.

Then, late this afternoon, when we were booking into the motel, BGWLBH said that the lady who served her was very friendly too.

After we'd settled into our room, we found our way to the Golf Club for dinner at the Thai restaurant and the young woman who served us was super friendly and chatty and we had a 10 minute conversation with her when we ordered our meal.

They are the ones that stand out in our minds from today's travels and they have all left us feeling warm and fuzzy and fortunate.

The other highlight of the day, was discovering a little place called Carcoar, just off the beaten track.  It was the most delightful little village with amazing buildings and churches and a running stream through the middle.

For the Carcoar story, visit the website here

It's been a great day for us AND for Mickey ...







Nite all





No comments: