Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Confession Time

Confession one ...

I am extremely stressed about the current weather warnings regarding the low pressure system heading in our direction, that at best, will bring strong winds and heavy rains, and at worst, will become a cyclone and bring more widespread damage.

I'm sure that if I had my blood pressure tested right now, it would be high!

Confession two ...

This morning, I decided that I needed something to help my stress levels.

I decided that my two options were 'wine' or 'coffee', neither of which (with hindsight) are the positive or healthy options that a health conscious person should be considering!! However ....

9am seemed to be a little early for 'wine', although I'm certain that it was 5pm somewhere in the world!! So as I stepped into the 'supermarket come cafe' where I usually buy my coffee, I saw that my favourite barista was on duty, so I ordered a coffee!!

As I ordered it, there were very audible gasps and oooohs and aaaahs and ummmmaahhhs from the staff, who all know that I am on this paleo program and this caused me to almost withdrew my order!!

But I didn't.

As the Queen Barista handed me my full, take away coffee cup, I felt my heart skip a beat and as I took my first mouthful, it was like welcoming an old friend as that familiar burst of flavour exploded in my mouth and washed over my dancing taste buds.

I called out to Queen Barista "Ahhhh, it's just as fabulous as I remember!!" The staff all laughed in unison.

I almost floated as I made my way outside and headed towards my trike, where I took my second mouthful. Hmmm, a seed of doubt.

By the third mouthful, it tasted like some kind of pasty chemical concoction that brought me no joy and then the 4th mouthful killed it for me.

I poured the rest down the sink when I got home and two hours later, I still have the after taste permeating through my head and I have to say that it is not pleasant.

How strange. This is NOT what I was expecting and now I am terribly disappointed. I guess that I'm not going to train my body to 'love' coffee again. That would be stupid. So it seems that coffee is now forever gone from my personal dietary requirements.

Who'da thunk??!!

Ah well, there is still wine. Oyster Bay, I will never desert you, but I also will never resort to drinking you at 9am, and you will also have to wait until my 10 week program is complete. I will commit to that ... unless the cyclone hits ... in which case, ALL BETS ARE OFF!!

Nite all.

No comments: