Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Photo Shoot Out

I think it's funny .. maybe.

About 8 weeks ago, I was asked by a member of the volunteer fire brigade, if I would go to the station and take photos of their new vehicles and equipment.

He said to me "You're AH's wife aren't you?" I replied "Yes"

He then asked "You're a photographer?" I replied "Yes"

His next question was "Would you come to the station and take some photos of our new equipment?"

My response was "Yes"

I was about to leave for BGWLBH and my road trip, but he was happy to wait for two weeks. We agreed that I would go to the station the first Wednesday after I returned from the holiday.

By the time I returned, I'd forgotten all about it so I missed going there on that first Wednesday.

I ran into him at the local shops and he asked me what had happened. I admitted to my poor memory and said that I would be there the following Wednesday, forgetting (there's that memory problem again) that I was already busy and wouldn't be available. I didn't have a contact phone number, so I couldn't tell him what was happening.

I eventually saw him again and HE was going away, so we arranged it for when he returned.

In the meantime, I had to head south for Dad W's funeral, hence missing the agreed date yet again.

He saw AH during my absence and mentioned that I still hadn't attended the shed, so AH filled him in on my situation and the man said not to worry and to just turn up on a Wednesday after I returned to town.

So today was that Wednesday.

I arrived on my trike with coffee and camera in hand.

He said to me "We've just been looking at the photos. Come through and I'll show you them on the computer in the back room."

I wondered what photos he was talking about, but didn't say anything, and followed him through to the office.

He sat down at a desk top, inserted a USB stick and there appeared a set of photos of the three vehicles he wanted me to photograph.

I commented on the photos and how they needed to be taken in better light at a different time of the day. He then told me that he would like me to get on the roof and take the photos from a higher level.

That was when I asked him who took the photos.

He looked at me and said "I thought you did".

I shook my head and said "No, this is my first visit here. I haven't taken any photos yet."

So he asked a couple of men who were talking to each other nearby. "Who took these photos?"

Their reply was "AH's wife."

I said "I am AH's wife and I didn't take these pics."

"OH? Well we don't know then."

We walked outside and asked two more men and their response was "AH's wife". I repeated my answer.

We walked to the shed and asked another two men. They had the same answer "AH's wife."

When I told them that I was AH's wife, they said "No it was AH McGovern's wife."

It seems that there is another AH whose wife is also a photographer!

So here is how I believe this whole situation occurred, from beginning to end...

All of those weeks ago, at a meeting, after they had taken receipt of the new vehicles, somebody suggested that they get some good photos to put in their newsletter.

One person probably suggested that AH's wife would do it, meaning AH McGovern's wife. Another person, the man who originally asked me, got his wires crossed and thought they meant 'my' AH and me. So I was asked by one person and AH McGovern's wife was asked by another person.

She got there to take the photos before I did!

Now none of this bothers me in the slightest, but that man still wants me to go and take photos from the roof of the shed and I said that I would go take a look at the light in the early morning to figure out where and how to get the shots.

I'm now having second thoughts because, one, I don't want to step on AH McGovern's wife's toes and two, because I don't believe that I was ever the intended photographer in the first place!

Talk about confusing! I think I will withdraw my services.

I did get to spend a little time searching for more Tawny Frogmouth nests, to no avail. There are no nests in the other locations from last year. One of the trees now has a magpie nest in it, so the maggies will scare off any other birds that try to nest there.

Another tree is missing the branch where they nested last year, so they've probably gone searching elsewhere.

I'm on a mission.

Nite all.

No comments: