Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Another Footy Year Over

What an exciting NRL Grand Final!!

My team lost by one point, but I have to admit that when the Cowboys scored in the dying seconds of the game, to level the scores, I was 'willing' the Thurston kick to go between the posts.

Unfortunately, the ball hit the posts which meant that the game went into extra time, but a mistake by a player on the Broncos team put the advantage firmly into the Cowboy's hands, which led to the captain, Jonathan Thurston, kicking a field goal to help them win by one point.

If my team had to be beaten in a grand final, I'm glad it was by the Cowboys led by Jonathan Thurston.

Firstly, they are a Queensland team!

Secondly, Jonathan Thurston is a true gentleman of the game and sets a positive example for all the kids who look up to him. He is generous with his time off the football field and appreciative of the support he receives from a very large section of the state of QLD. He adores his family and the loving twinkle in his eye when he is with them gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Thirdly, their coach, Paul Green, was taught everything he knows by Wayne Bennett, my team's coach!

Lastly, the Cowboys are a strong team who always play a fair game and have worked hard for their success.

So congratulations to Jonathan Thurston, the entire Cowboys team and all of their loyal fans, who I'm sure will be celebrating long into the night .. and probably all week!!

Quite off topic, I found this last night and thought it was worth posting here...    

"NOT" 
by Erin Hanson

You are not your age,
nor the size of clothes you wear.
You are not a weight 
or the colour of your hair.
You are not your name, 
or the dimples in your cheeks.
You are all the books you read,
and all the words you speak.
You are your croaky morning voice,
And the smiles you try to hide.
You're the sweetness in your laughter
and every tear you've cried.
You're the songs you sing so loudly,
when you know you're all alone.
You're the places that you've been to,
and the one that you call home.
You're the things that you believe in
and the people that you love.
You're the photos in your bedroom
and the future you dream of.
You're made of so much beauty,
but it seems that you forgot
when you decided that you were defined
by all the things you're not.

So, after a phone call from my very drunk sister who is celebrating a Cowboys win at her 'local', even though she is a lowly Manly supporter, it's now time for me to head off to bed!

Nite all.

No comments: