Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, April 2, 2017

We're Back!

Finally! Phone and internet coverage at last!

This is what I wrote on Thursday night, but couldn't post ...

********

Debbie is angry!

The warnings came out this morning and Adoring Husband was on SES duty at the shed very early.

Cyclone Debbie quickly made her way down the coast - over 1000kms - to reach us, the Sunny Coast, Brisbane and the Gold Coast today.

Hundreds of millimetres of rain. Winds gusting over 120kph. Incredible flash flooding, property damaged, schools closed, workers sent home before lunch, trees down, power outages, wild storms, sports events cancelled and no end in sight.

Our bad weather began around lunch time.

Right then, I decided to cook our chicken for dinner, just in case of possible power failure. That was a good decision.

We received 80mm of rain in two hours and our wind gusts were around 65kph - at a guess.

I was doing ok until the last hour, at around 2pm, when Higgins Storm Chasers put out a warning about possible tornados.

At the same time, we lost power, so there was no TV or music or anything to drown out the noise of the storm.

The sound of the wind whistling and thumping around the house was too much me me to cope with and I packed all of my fully charged devices into the walk-in robe, JUST IN CASE!

An hour later, the weather cleared, but 7 hours later, we are not only without power, but also without phone and internet service, which we lost at about 9pm!

This post will probably not even get to my blog until tomorrow. It feels weird to not have any contact with the outside world.

Luckily, we have a generator, so we get to watch TV,  have a fan, and the capability of charging the phone and iPad, although right now, that seems pointless.

It's getting late so we'll have to turn off the noisy generator soon.

The skies are clear and the stars are twinkling brightly, but the forecast is for gale force winds tomorrow. I hope they are wrong.

I feel for the people down south. The weather has now reached NSW and Lismore residents have been given an evacuation order. I understand the damaging rain will go as far south as Byron Bay. Scary.

Cyclone Debbie has been on a hell of a road trip!

Good luck to everybody in her path. Stay safe and remember ... IF IT'S FLOODED, FORGET IT!

I think it's time to concede defeat and go to bed.

Nite all

********

So, it seems that we got off lightly in comparison to many other towns and cities in Debbie's path of destruction. She has left a trail of disasters in her wake.

More sad news for our town was the passing of Mum H on Wednesday night.

I wrote on her Facebook page tonight ...
Dear Mum H,

I phoned your home number today, but no-one answered and it went to your voice message. I wasn't expecting to hear your voice and I wasn't prepared for the impact that it had on me.

Your involvement in our Burrum Heads community has been profound, your support for the town charity events has been significant and your tireless volunteer work for the Bowls Club has been remarkable.

You've been the life of many parties and almost always the last to leave. Your energetic and exuberant dancing had us shaking our heads in awe because none of us could keep up with you!

Your cheeky sense of humour and missing filter (as already mentioned by Kayla) should have got you into more trouble than it did.

You were a Jill of all trades, a fashionista, a sporting hero, a karaoke star, a dancing queen, a party animal, beer brewer extraordinaire, barrel girl, seamstress, dog and house sitter, crazy triker girl and I just don't know how much longer Home and Away will survive without your loyal following!

It will be a while before Burrum Heads recovers from the shock of your passing, because we expected that you would outlive us all.

Thankfully, I have an album bursting with nine years of fun memories and each of those memories brings a smile to my face (or an embarrassed grimace lol).

I will miss you, you crazy woman.

May you rest in peace

With Love ... Sweet Pea xo

Nite all.

No comments: