Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, March 17, 2018

To The End

I think I'm a bit exhausted.

It's been business as usual, but also a long and tiring week, especially trying to complete the final day of the photography course today so that I could present it to Ms Extraordinaire after work this afternoon ... and that was difficult because I'd only just completed Day Two of the course the previous day.

Yes, yes ... I DO my best work under pressure, but once the pressure is released and complete, I fall into a screaming heap and really require some 'time out' to rejuvenate and regenerate.

That's what Sundays are for, and boy am I looking forward to this Sunday. I'm going to withdraw from the world for about six hours and be very gentle and kind to myself.

It was another quiet Saturday at The Happy Abode. Again, with the Baker and the Dress shop closed, people are going elsewhere to do their shopping and the rest of us are suffering, but as I've mentioned before, we need to figure out a positive plan of action to bring the people to us - all of us who are attempting to run successful businesses need to work together.

At least I had time to create the final part of the photography course, paid some invoices, prepared the banking for Monday, chatted with a couple of customers, emptied all of our bins, tidied the kitchen and cleared some work emails.

Adoring Husband came to the shop just before 1pm to help me close up and take home the cash tin, so that I could go straight to Ms Extraordinaire's to present the remainder of the course before she goes on holiday on Monday.

The more I learn about that woman, the more in awe I am and I shake my head in disbelief at how talented, creative, organised and efficient she is and her humility and honesty are heart warming. I like her a lot.

To give me time to wind down from work, she showed me through her house, pointing out different things that she had changed since moving in, showing me her AWESOME craft studio and all of the amazing creations that she had taught herself to make.

Her home is like a treasure trove, with surprises around every corner, stylishly decorated and with so many practical features to make life easier as they pass out of middle age and tread lightly into their twilight years. Her confidence that she will reach the age of 100 also makes her excited for all the creative pursuits she can follow and all the holidays and adventures she can experience.

After I finished showering her with accolades, we sat down and concentrated on what was left to learn about her camera and about photography. We reviewed the last two weeks of lessons and then went into her garden to practice some of the theory that she'd learned.

Her garden was another of her creations full of treasures and unusual plants, thriving with beneficial insects and birdlife and obviously the love of her life.

So my afternoon was thoroughly enjoyable. I was there for an hour longer than necessary, but I didn't look at my watch once, because I was very much enjoying my time with this lovely lady.

I finally found my way home to Adoring Husband who had prepared dinner for us and we sat down in front of the football with a plate full of delicious food to relax for the remainder of the day/evening.

Super Saturday football will finish earlier than usual tonight, so I expect to be in bed early.


I am feeling decidedly weary.

Nite all.

No comments: