Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Not According to Plan

My day did NOT go according to plan.

I mentioned yesterday that I would leave early enough to visit the Seat of Knowledge this morning, but it was so cold, I wasn't prepared to slide out from under my toasty warm doona until the very last minute.

So, I arrived at work with just enough time to go buy a coffee before opening the shop.

Three of my girls arrived right on time - just as I received a phone call from OzCare confirming that they were bringing a group to the shop for morning tea and a shopping trip!

What?

It seems that 'someone' had spoken to The motivator about whether we had the facilities to accommodate a morning tea group which would be followed by a shopping spree in the shop. She confirmed that we did, but there were no concrete arrangements made.

A month ago, The Blonde Bombshell told me about the OzCare newsletter that stated there was going to be a trip to Burrum Heads to have morning tea at The Happy Abode, followed by shopping, followed by lunch at Lions Park.

The Motivator and I had a discussion and I assumed that someone from OzCare would contact us to verify the trip before the date.

That did not occur. Instead, they phoned the shop at 9am today, to confirm that they would arrive for morning tea at 10am!

*Panic*

No need to panic. They brought their own food/tea/coffee/cups, so all I needed to do was set up a table in our training room, and they did the rest. They cleaned up their own mess and then filled the shop with their walking sticks and wheelie walkers as they shopped until they almost dropped.

One gorgeous lady, who was wearing a big purple woolly coat, was a hugger and she and I shared three very long cuddly hugs before she bought one of our little frog ornaments.

Another lady wanted a snap button glasses hanger but the conversation consisted of :

Her - 'I would like a glasses hanger with that owl button'

Me - 'Yes of course. Here you are' as I handed it to her.

Her - 'So I just wear it as a necklace?'

Me - 'No, you wear it like this' I demonstrate on myself how it is worn.

Her - 'Oh how marvellous! So I just wear it as a necklace?'

Me - 'No, it's a glasses hanger. You wear it like this' I demonstrate again.

Her - 'Oh what a wonderful idea! So I just wear it like a necklace?'

Me - 'No, you wear it like this.' I put it on her blouse and hang her glasses on it.

Her - 'Oh that's wonderful! Do you just slide the necklace through the hook?'

Me - 'No, you just wear it on your blouse. It's like a brooch with a loop to hang your glasses from'

Her - 'Oh what a marvellous idea. It's such an unusual necklace.'

She was such a lovely thing and terribly happy to have a new necklace that wasn't a necklace at all.

Having said that, both of the carers saw the glasses hanger and decided that they needed one each for themselves.

Three ladies chose bright colourful scarves and put them on before they walked out the door.

One of the ladies dropped her wallet on the floor, which I discovered just before they left the carpark, so I was able to run outside and hand it back before they disappeared.

During all of this, Reality TV Queen arrived late for morning tea and sat in our lounge area waiting patiently for everyone to leave so that we could catch up. It's been a long time between visits and there was plenty to discuss, but we were interrupted often by a regular stream of customers.

Adoring Husband visited as she was leaving and did a lunch run.

The Telstra guy arrived to instal the new NBN modem which won't be connected for some weeks yet.  He gave me a list of worst case scenarios and what I should do if they occur.

I received a phone call from a lady wanting to enrol in my photography workshop.

All the while, I was rapidly using up a box of tissues as my nose was running like a tap! It's ok because I feel well enough, I just have a runny nose. Most annoying!

My last customer left the shop at about 3.30pm. I cleared the table and chairs from the training room in preparation for meditation tomorrow morning. I priced some new jewellery stock and rearranged some displays to fit them in the shop. I added up the takings for the day. I dropped off some mail to The Motivator on the way home.

Adoring Husband had helped me close the shop, checked the mail with me and we grabbed a late coffee. He brought home a bag of goodies for me and dropped off our signed contract to the pool builder.

I arrived home and sat for an hour before making a roast pumpkin/roast cauliflower/spinach and pine nut salad with crispy skinned chicken for dinner. What a bloody mess I made of the kitchen!

I broke my own sales record in the shop today, so I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself, but it was so busy and mostly unexpected and unplanned.

In spite of all that, I loved every minute of it. It was a great day that had me smiling most of the time and I am feeling incredibly grateful for the life that I have right now.

My Adoring Husband is amazing and every day I feel lucky to have him as my partner and friend. He makes everything so much easier (most of the time), he fills my life with love and I feel totally nurtured.

While the word 'Fearless' had centre spot on my vision board this year, the word 'Happy' has been pretty much first and foremost and centre stage in my life.

Life is good.

Nite all.

No comments: